Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 all of a sudden shooting bad >

all of a sudden shooting bad

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

all of a sudden shooting bad

Old 10-03-2003, 04:26 AM

Default all of a sudden shooting bad

I took my bow out yesterday morning making the final adjustments for pa bow season and I was shooting like crap... I was shooting about 8 inches to left all day. I would move my pin to the left and I am still shooting way to the left. I have decided it cant be the bow it must be me.. So I went home later in the day I went out agian still shooting to the left ..huh.. what am I doing wrong all of a sudden any ideas?? Or could it be the bow.. I just got new cable and string put on about a month ago and it shot fine till yesterday.. Its a browning Mirage XE heavy weight..
Old 10-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: all of a sudden shooting bad

Try to make sure that you are NOT holding the bow tightly and maybe check your follow thru on the shot(make sure your not peeking before the arrow hits the target.Your string may have stretched so check your bows' measurements to make sure that didn' t change.just a couple things to check.jmo.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do you shoot open handed? If not you may want to start, it sounds to me like you may be torqueing the bow on release.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

just curious did you have more clothing on?
i know that will give you fits if you dont pay close attention to your form....
Old 10-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

New string and cable + Suddenly shooting bad = String/cable creep.

If you would check your brace height, axle to axle length and cam timing, you' ll likely find each one is out of spec. Your draw weight is likely at least 5 pounds less than you set it for. You need to get the string and cable twisted up and put back in spec. Everything will line right out again.

You have to expect creep when you change out your strings and cables. Every time. Always shoot at least 150 arrows through the bow to settle the rigging, twist everything back up to their correct lengths, and THEN do your final tuning and sighting in. Fine tuning before settling the rigging is simply a waste of time.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Had that happen to me this past Monday. With opening day right around the corner I went out back and shot my bow for the last time before opening day and everything was a few inches to the left and little high. Now, I' ve been shooting just fine for the last several months so I didn' t want to blame my bow/setup, but it just had me frustrated. Come to find out my fist was grasping the bow pretty hard and it was causing me to miss...and miss badly. Just wasn' t concentrating on the little things. Good luck with whatever the problem might be.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:19 AM

I think your bow is configured and tuned alright and most likely it' s your mechanics. There is another poster on this board who has always said something like he only shoots once a day and this makes him concentrate likes it' s the real thing. It really makes every shot count! I' ve been following his advice for a while now and I have the biggest smile on my face each night when I get home from work and nail my one shot into the center of my target. Really helps build your confidence.

So, I think it' s either your grib being too tight because you are excited or maybe because you are peeking. NO PEEKING!!!! Maybe you just need to take one deep breath to relax yourself before shooting.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:01 AM

I' m assuming that you' re right handed. I found that if I use too open a grip, my hand forces a torque to the left. Too tight, and I shoot right. I have pretty meaty hands. I found the right balance of open-handed with placing my fingertips on the fron edge of the grip. Gives another reference pt as well.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:07 AM

What kind of peep do you use?

Last year my peep would " tourque" over because it had moved on the string less than 1/8th of an inch but all of my shots were high left because of it.

Had the problem fixed and that' s all it took. Everything is back in the " 10" ring now.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:50 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I think it may be the grip I havent payed much attension to it, so I will look at that first and I may have been peeking [:-]

Quick Reply: all of a sudden shooting bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.