Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you let them pass..for no good reason? >

Have you let them pass..for no good reason?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you let them pass..for no good reason?

Old 10-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have you let them pass..for no good reason?

I' ve passes on many, many time more deer than I' ve shot--and that' s a lot. Most of the time, it' s because I don' t want to shoot anything less than a mature animal--including does. Other times it' s because I' ve seen them enough times that I recognize them and don' t want to shoot a " friend."
Old 10-04-2003, 05:51 PM

A friend of mine owns a herd of Red deer (aprox. 150), he has one doe that is more less a pet. He named her Lucky. One day my buddy' s sister was washing dishes in the kitchen when Lucky walked up to the window and his sister splashed Lucky with some water and started laughing, well long story short, Lucky chewed the seats and visors out of her car (the window in the car was down) Since then I have looked at deer as more than just meat in the freezer.

BTW, the racks on those Red deer are huge!! And NO I can' t hunt ' em [:@] (not that I would hunt a caged critter anyway)
Old 10-04-2003, 06:26 PM

I hear you Bow.

I have let every doe that ever walked by me go. I just have no desire to drop the string on them.

I also let lots of dinks go by.

But I have never let a " shooter" go. They come by far and few between.

I would have to be in one heck of a tree hugging mood to let a fat old buck walk by

Old 10-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

As for me, I let the string fly on the first big doe or legal buck that walks by every year. this is what I call a meat hunt to fill the freezer. However, I am also moody to when it comes to shooting em because I process my own game the thought of having to clean em, steak em out, grind em, clean up all the mess, and freeze em really makes me think twice after the first one goes in the freezer. I let more deer walk with a gun or muzzle gun than with a bow because it aint everyday I get deer close enought to shoot with a bow well that is except this year. I have let a lot walk allready b/c the right shot angle wasn' t offered.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

I had 2 nice does and 3 yearlings in front of me Friday evening. The biggest doe was feeding on cut corn quartering away at 15 yds. Now I need a freezer deer, and this was a prime mgmt doe, but I elected not to shoot because I had over an hour of light left, and I just didn' t feel like shooting. Then I saw nothing else the rest of the evening of course.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Let lots of them pass. I even let a nice 7 pointer pass the other day.[&:] I know of at least two mature bucks, both 10' s that prowl my land and am waiting on one of them. I' ll take a doe pretty soon, when the weather cools down so I can hang her for a few days be processing her. I should be shooting them with the camera.[]