Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you follow ALL hunting regulations? >

Do you follow ALL hunting regulations?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you follow ALL hunting regulations?

Old 10-02-2003, 10:45 AM

Default RE: Do you follow ALL hunting regulations?

This discussion got me to check when our shooting times are here in Nebraska, which are rather liberal I guess. We have 30 minutes before and after daylight as legal shooting hours. It' s too dark for me to see anything before and after those times anyway, so I' m good to go there.

The regs don' t say anything about when I can nock an arrow, though, so I assume that me nocking as soon as I get into the stand and waiting for it to get light out is OK, as long as I don' t let fly at anything in the dark.

I have done what Taz has stated also, going over onto private land to retrieve a buck I shot on my side. It' s likely, if I' m lucky, that I' ll have to do that this year as well.

Another reg I believe I may be in violation of is the Flourescent Orange one that states that while hunting during any legal firearm season that all hunters must wear on their head, chest AND back 400 square inches. I guess maybe I had better add a vest and a hat to my pack to wear in and out of the woods. I can always, and will, take them off in the stand. The last thing I need is a ticket by an over zealous game warden who happened to see me while walking to or from my truck. If I do everything right, they (the wardens) should never see me when I' m in my stand
Old 10-02-2003, 12:35 PM

I follow all the rules and thank goodness I don' t find myself in too many situations where I have to think about breaking the rules. Once in the past 7 years I almost decided to take a small spike with antlers about 3" which is legal for an antlerless deer, but I resisted because I could clearly see the antlers. It' s tough, but more rewarding knowing that you followed the rules.

p.s. I know a guy who took a nice buck...and I mean NICE...but he was hunting land that wasn' t quite ' open' for his permission to hunt. Had he waited a few more weeks, the land would have been perfectly legal for him to hunt on. Anyways, I could never look at a mount of mine knowing it was taken illegally (sort of). Ethics!
Old 10-02-2003, 02:20 PM

Well, I' m living here in Hawaii and everyone' s pretty laid back on rules down here. Though I will have to say that if I hunted on the mainland, I would do everything by the book and when I hunt on the other side of the island in Koke' e where there are more popular hunting areas and alot of wardens, then I do everything by the book as well. Otherwise, above my house, lets see.

In Unit C, a hunting area where guns are allowed, we often do not wear a blaze orange shirt. Usually we do but many times we just go with white shirts on. Sometimes a camo jacket. That' s very common for people to break tho because most are hunting boar with dog and knife with some block-trail going on with guns and there really isn' t any need to wear orange. Sometimes we leave our only shirt on the grown for any lost dogs to find and snuggle up on and we forget to go get the shirt and then we don' t have one until we either buy a new one or go get the old one which is usually covered in mud by the end of the day.

Shooting hours. I don' t know if I have broken that rule. It' s 30 minutes before and after the sun rises and sets. And it' s so thick over here in most places that your not gonna have enough light to see anyway about the time the sun is setting and you legally still have another 30 minutes so that rule usually is not a problem.

Sometimes we hunt at night which is illigal. Alot of people do that over here because pigs are nocturnal. Don' t do it often tho and usually don' t catch because it' s harder to get an opportunity to shoot although there is alot more action at night.

Another thing I do illigal: A common thing every generation goes through over here is the loss of your own hunting area (outside the public hunting areas) which used to be wilderness and was sold and is now private property or cow fields. I used to be allowed on a guava farm and then they sold half and it' s now cow fields. I have been there ten years before the jerk/weirdo owner moved in and I still tresspass all the time. Wether for fishing are stillhunting pigs or just passing through to get to deeper areas of un-owned forest. I guess you could say I just don' t have respect for private property but I do. Just not for this one. But that is something every generation goes though over here. Some bitter relationships have been made.

I have in the past, hunted unit G, the archery only area without getting a permit. You are supposed to go into town and pick up a free 3-day permid. 365 days a year hunting in there and town is far away, the office closed on weekends, and I was just a kid so sometimes I would just do spur of the moment hunts and go without the permit. I never did like doing that tho. I wouldn' t want to come down the trail to the end of the road parking lot and find a warden waiting for me.

We also hunt in places that are not public hunting areas. Nobody owns them. They are just state land that are not listed as public areas and they have lots of game that the state would rather not have living in there because they are bad for the native ecosystems. I don' t know if the wardens care or not if you venture into these areas. They might just because they don' t want anyone who don' t know what they are doing trampling any endangered native plants (which is a good reason) but otherwise, they need somebody to catch the pigs. Lot' s of hardcore hunters hunt these areas off the beaten path. You often need to camp.

Sometimes we camp overnight, in or out of hunting areas which causes us to break another rule. Sometimes we don' t sign in on the checkin sheets. Either we can' t because we won' t be able to checkout that night or because we are entering an area far from any checkin box. Not sure if you can just sign in and white " overnight stay" on the sheet. I' m sure the wardens wouldn' t care if you did. Pretty laid back up here.

I' m sure I break a few more little rules. But I must say that this is all just in my backyard. If I were to hunt the mainland or when I hunt Koke' e, I do everything by the book. I also got off to a bad start. Since we were kids, I' ve always been with the bad crowd, and we never did respect rules as much as some people. No adult ever got me into hunting. I just kinda started by myself. Lot' s of trespassing. At least my friend' s dad helped me take hunter' s ed when I was thirteen. But I' m 19 now and pretty famouse over here so I have a reputation to keep. I' m even on TV hunting. And I' m one of the best fisherman around so I don' t like breaking rules any more. Too risky.

And my last illigal thing is my gun, which I bought second hand, an old 12 gauge semi auto, is not registered. And I' m scared to try to register it because I don' t know is it' s stolen or not.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:36 PM

I try to be " within regs" but I use my sight pins as my " clock" .

I also sometimes hunt closer to structures than the yardage that is requested by the state.