Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting in the rain >

Bowhunting in the rain

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting in the rain

Old 10-02-2003, 07:09 AM

Default RE: Bowhunting in the rain

I am surprised no one mentioned using a tracking string. They cost about 5 bucks, attach to the end of your stabilizer and give me piece of mind during rainy weather.

There are limitations of course. I limit myself to under 25 yard shots with the string on my arrows. At 20 I have no effect on my arrow but by 30 my arrow drops about 3 to 4 inches from where it should hit and I don' t risk it if though I know where the impact point is. I also don' t shoot through tiny little openings in the brush in case the string were to get caught up and deflect an arrow.

I recommend practicing shooting with the string before using it on deer, but in mine and my friends set up' s it has worked very well and made a much easier job or tracking a deer in wet conditions.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:30 AM

I love hunting in the rain especially if it' s in a public area. Most people are fair weather hunters and the pressure is greatly decreased when the weather gets a little ugly.

Some of my most productive hunts have been during a light rain or just after a heavy downpour. Only take high percentage shots because it can be pretty difficult tracking.

Old 10-02-2003, 08:41 AM

I hunt every chance I get. If it' s going to downright windy and pouring all day, then forget about it. But, if it' s just a steady rain or drizzle, I' m going. Here' s how I prepare:
1. Extra change of clothes
2. My handy tree umbrella which has kept me dry numerous times in rain, sleet and snow.
3. Make sure I have bow wax on my strings.
4. At end of day I make sure I dry my bow and all very well. I sometimes use my air compressor in the garage to blow out all the nooks and crannies.

I actually look forward to hunting in the rain because it' s more peaceful, quieter getting into the woods on foot (especially when there are lots of leaves down) and I find that 85% of the other hunters stay home so the woods are all mine!
Old 10-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll be out there on Sat. rain or shine. Showers are supposed to be off an on from what I understand. Hopefully the deer will be active in between the showers.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:55 PM

I love hunting in the rain. Pigs really come out when it rains. I don' t know about deer tho. My favorite thing about the rain is that it washes out old tracks and you can find fresh tracks and follow them. Especially if they are going to a bedded animal. You can crawl and follow them and look out ahead and too the sides for the animal. Don' t expect it to be on the trail.

The major problems I' ve encountered while hunting in the rain is:
1. Wax flaking off bowstring when wet.
It' s no big deel and all my shots are short so I have never noticed any change in flight and sighs are allways right on.
2. The cold wet clothes. Get a good camo trenchcoat with a hood and your in business. Wear a hat to keep the rain out of your eyes. Wet pants sometimes are not silent too. I wear tobees so wet shoes are not something I worry about. My felt bottom tabees are allways wet.
3. Blood trail. Blood trails will get washed away very fast, maybe even instantly if it' s pouring. If you make a bad shot, there is practically zero chance of finding them by blood. You still have tracks to follow tho. Just hit them in the vitals and they shouldn' t go too far (30-60 yards). You should still be able to find them even if it' s pouring. You definately need to have some tracking experience. If it' s a bad shot, back off and come back the next day or when it' s stopped raining after giving them long enough to die on their own. 8-hours should do it. Check the blood at first to double check your thoughts on where you hit the animal. If it' s full on bubble lung blood and you saw the arrow go though both lungs, you might want to take up the trail right away before it can get washed away. Otherwise, if you can, give the animal a half hour or at least a few minutes.

But if you made a perfect shot and you know it and rain is going to wash the blood away, then get on that trail fast because the deer should be dead in less than a minute after the shot, provided your broadheads are sharp. Dull broadheads are often the cause of deer still being alive after what seemed like a good hit. Sharp three to four blade broadheads often make the difference on marginal hits.

Hope that helps. For me, when it' s really pouring, I just take my 12 guage and try to drop the pig in it' s tracks.