Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
To shoot or not to shoot? >

To shoot or not to shoot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To shoot or not to shoot?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Pidly deer have a lot less guilt. A nice buck not recovered would have haunted you forever!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardwoodhank
I've had more luck with my bow this season, but no doubt that if I had a rifle or my smoke pole I would have been dragging him out Saturday without a really nice shoulder mount, because there wouldn't have been much left of the front of his head if I took the head shot. Even the neck shot wasnt a guarantee, he was barely visible except for ears and a real nice rack. It would have still been a blind shot to go for his body, and he was a haus of a deer. I can see a wounding shot where he still goes out the other side of thicket left to die. No way to get to other end without a mile trek around the deep ravine and 7 ft tall briars and straw grass.

He showed up like clockwork this morning but wind was different, or he knew I was there and disappeared in the power lines before daybreak. Left me with a little spike instead, so with 20 degree temp, I didn't come home empty handed.

I know his core area and will be hunting him this season, and if he gives me an opportunity I would love to put an arrow in him rather than bullet. If I shot a firearm in this honey hole, it would be cleared out for a while. That's another reason I chose my bow for this kind of hunt...stealthy!
LOL, OK...didn't know you didn't even have a view of his neck. That's my favorite shot with my ML but would never attempt with my bow. Talk about bang/flop.

Anyway, you definitely made the right call. Hope you bag him!

Edit: Now that I think about it, what bullets are you using with your ML? I have shot 3 in the neck with my ML this season and could have had any one of them mounted if I would have liked. Now, if you're using a bullet like the Nosler Ballistic Tip, that would leave a tough job for any taxidermist to undertake. I use the Speer DeepCurls and have never had to track a deer, nor have they exploded enough to ruin the pelt.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 12-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Arc?

Like the man said, you get to hunt him again!

Where was the obstruction to your line of sight? I'm wondering if the arc of the arrow could have made a lung shot possible.

But 72#'s at 31 inches! If you were sure you could hit the center half of the neck - is that not a sure kill? Either break the spine or sever the big neck arteries. I'm not nearly that good a shot, especially out of a tree (not that Id ever be up one, except for the figurative kind) but you might be.