HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To shoot or not to shoot?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 PM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardwoodhank
I've had more luck with my bow this season, but no doubt that if I had a rifle or my smoke pole I would have been dragging him out Saturday without a really nice shoulder mount, because there wouldn't have been much left of the front of his head if I took the head shot. Even the neck shot wasnt a guarantee, he was barely visible except for ears and a real nice rack. It would have still been a blind shot to go for his body, and he was a haus of a deer. I can see a wounding shot where he still goes out the other side of thicket left to die. No way to get to other end without a mile trek around the deep ravine and 7 ft tall briars and straw grass.

He showed up like clockwork this morning but wind was different, or he knew I was there and disappeared in the power lines before daybreak. Left me with a little spike instead, so with 20 degree temp, I didn't come home empty handed.

I know his core area and will be hunting him this season, and if he gives me an opportunity I would love to put an arrow in him rather than bullet. If I shot a firearm in this honey hole, it would be cleared out for a while. That's another reason I chose my bow for this kind of hunt...stealthy!
LOL, OK...didn't know you didn't even have a view of his neck. That's my favorite shot with my ML but would never attempt with my bow. Talk about bang/flop.

Anyway, you definitely made the right call. Hope you bag him!

Edit: Now that I think about it, what bullets are you using with your ML? I have shot 3 in the neck with my ML this season and could have had any one of them mounted if I would have liked. Now, if you're using a bullet like the Nosler Ballistic Tip, that would leave a tough job for any taxidermist to undertake. I use the Speer DeepCurls and have never had to track a deer, nor have they exploded enough to ruin the pelt.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 12-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.