Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Early Season Stands - Getting In & Out Undetected!! >

Early Season Stands - Getting In & Out Undetected!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early Season Stands - Getting In & Out Undetected!!

Old 09-30-2003, 09:20 AM

Default Early Season Stands - Getting In & Out Undetected!!

Hello Guys and Gals,

Bow Season opens tomorrow morning and I' m so anxious, I can' t see straight. I thought about some of the things I' ve seen or learned over the years as it pertains to early season bow stands and getting to and out of them undetected. I know a lot of us hunt near field edges in the early season and the last thing we want to do is educate the deer to our location. Therefore, please share some of your ideas on how to get in and out of your stands undetected.

Situation: I' ve got a stand location situated approx. 50-60 off of a food plot. I know where the deer are coming from and I know where they are going due to months of scouting. Depending on the wind, this stand can be accessed from the back side (creek bottom and heavy timber) by walking up the creek. This will only work when there is a North wind because the deer bed down North East of the stand in thick brush. The problem comes during evening sits. I can get to the stand in the afternoon okay, but I sometimes have a problem getting out at dark because the deer will use this area as a staging area (I have a small plot of clover, brassica and buck forage oats). My house is approximately 500 yards away on the south side of the food plot.
Here' s what I do: If my wife is at home, I have her ride directly through the food plots towards my stand on our ATV (30-45 minutes after dark). When I see her coming, I start my decent. She rides right up to me, I hop on and off we go without stopping and turning off the four wheeler. The deer will usually jump off the field until shes come and gone and then go back to their normal ruitines.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:06 AM

Default RE: Early Season Stands - Getting In & Out Undetected!!

That is definatly the way to do it. My dad and I used to do the same thing. At first I thought the four wheeler would spook them to badly but apparantly not as bad as a quiet hunter climbing down and walking out from his stand.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Early Season Stands - Getting In & Out Undetected!!

I hunt the woods behind my house. I' ll have the 2ways and if deer are out in the yard, I will have my girlfriend come out and create enough activity in the yard to scare the deer away temporarily, so as not to alert them to me sneaking out from behind them.