Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rut activity thread >

Rut activity thread

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rut activity thread

Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Teammate, nothing happening here in NE Wi either
Old 10-29-2013, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Called a buddy in North Central Kansas. Said small ones are sparring and bigger ones still nocturnal. Calling it--> Nov1-10th be prime. Good luck to you guys.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Spike

Central VA - I got in my stand yesterday about 45 minutes before sunlight and let a buck bomb, doe in estrus scent, go...and within 10 minutes had two small bucks and a nice buck show up. The larger one did more circling around my stand trying to play the wind, but all hung out until about 5 minutes after light enough for a shot. Got to see the shooter buck, and I hope I get another chance at him. He never gave me a shot within the 5 minutes of light I had, but he was definitely on the scent, stomping, grunting, and rubbing all around stand. I heard a deeper grunting downwind, but he never came within sight to see him. They are definitely reacting to scent in a more aggressive way since a week or so ago.

Today I racked and grunted in a few smaller ones, but no shooters, so its getting to be around the quarter. I think by the next full moon we should start to have most mature does going in full estrus, so I cant wait until the bucks start to get stupid and getting out in daylight. Ive been in the woods since the first of October, so Im more than ready, and a lot more comfortable with what stand to shoot with each wind.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm leaving shortly for an all day hunt. Yesterday I saw a decent 8pt yesterday at 1:40PM! No shot, but it's nice to know they are on their feet during daylight now. I'm hoping the next 4 days will produce some good activity.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Shot a buck tonight whose nose was to the ground, grunting, and trailing a doe. Never looked up once. NW INDIANA RUT IS ON....
Old 11-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Spike

Thursday night, I hit the woods. Had three bucks come in. Each on the same trail, about 2-3 minutes apart. They all walked the edge of the field, licked the upper limbs of the over hanging trees and made scrapes as they made their way towards me. 2 of the 3 were small and not legal here, but there was a very nice 9 that stayed just behind a blown down Maple and stayed there until dark.

Tonight, I had my decoy out with a small set of antlers on it. A small 6 point came walking down the edge of the field and noticed my decoy when he was approx 10 yards from it. He immediately lowered his head and his ears layed flat. Stiff legged it right up to my decoy. I tried to get my camera phone out to video what I thought was about to happen, (he trashing my decoy), but decided that there was enough daylight left and that I should try to scare him off. I grabbed my antlers I have for rattling, and crashed them hard. Didn't phase him a bit. Blew the grunt call like an drunken auctioneer, he could have cared less. I actually started yelling at him and ended up throwing a small Oak branch at him which sent him running. I wish I had my movie camera set up for that one.

Any scrapes that were active over the past 2 weeks where I hunt have NOT been refreshed. I have seen a few small bucks in close proximity to does. No active pursuit, but give it a week if that and the chase will be on. Absolutely ZERO activity in the morning. All movement where I'm at has been in the pm.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Spike

Had video of a little fork horn chasing does this past week, on the trail cam, but for the most part the does around here aren't being harrassed much and keeping to they're fall feeding patterns, up here in the RepubliK of Konnecticut.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

This past Monday I was in my stand watching a large open Ridge Field and had 2 Bucks chasing a Young Doe all around the field!Went out again sat evening and saw 2 Bucks cruising thru the same field,had a Young Buck run out and check my Doe Decoy then run off,saw 2 Does and a Fawn then another young Doe cross the same field....lots of movement after the rain/storms we had this week.

There's lots of rubs and fresh scrapes activity going on....if cold weather hits the Rut will be getting much better in the next few weeks for sure,as mentioned the Big Bucks are still smart and staying mostly Nocturnal so far!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Spike

I've seen little rut activity. No seeking/chasing but few rubs here and there. Two little bucks sparring last week here in Southeast Missouri.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I sat for 12 hours today and saw 5 small bucks and one doe by 10:00AM. The biggest was a basket 8pt right behind a doe. The Rut is on!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.