HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rut activity thread
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 06:06 PM
FungusFinder
Spike

Thursday night, I hit the woods. Had three bucks come in. Each on the same trail, about 2-3 minutes apart. They all walked the edge of the field, licked the upper limbs of the over hanging trees and made scrapes as they made their way towards me. 2 of the 3 were small and not legal here, but there was a very nice 9 that stayed just behind a blown down Maple and stayed there until dark.

Tonight, I had my decoy out with a small set of antlers on it. A small 6 point came walking down the edge of the field and noticed my decoy when he was approx 10 yards from it. He immediately lowered his head and his ears layed flat. Stiff legged it right up to my decoy. I tried to get my camera phone out to video what I thought was about to happen, (he trashing my decoy), but decided that there was enough daylight left and that I should try to scare him off. I grabbed my antlers I have for rattling, and crashed them hard. Didn't phase him a bit. Blew the grunt call like an drunken auctioneer, he could have cared less. I actually started yelling at him and ended up throwing a small Oak branch at him which sent him running. I wish I had my movie camera set up for that one.

Any scrapes that were active over the past 2 weeks where I hunt have NOT been refreshed. I have seen a few small bucks in close proximity to does. No active pursuit, but give it a week if that and the chase will be on. Absolutely ZERO activity in the morning. All movement where I'm at has been in the pm.