HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rut activity thread
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM
hardwoodhank
Spike

Central VA - I got in my stand yesterday about 45 minutes before sunlight and let a buck bomb, doe in estrus scent, go...and within 10 minutes had two small bucks and a nice buck show up. The larger one did more circling around my stand trying to play the wind, but all hung out until about 5 minutes after light enough for a shot. Got to see the shooter buck, and I hope I get another chance at him. He never gave me a shot within the 5 minutes of light I had, but he was definitely on the scent, stomping, grunting, and rubbing all around stand. I heard a deeper grunting downwind, but he never came within sight to see him. They are definitely reacting to scent in a more aggressive way since a week or so ago.

Today I racked and grunted in a few smaller ones, but no shooters, so its getting to be around the quarter. I think by the next full moon we should start to have most mature does going in full estrus, so I cant wait until the bucks start to get stupid and getting out in daylight. Ive been in the woods since the first of October, so Im more than ready, and a lot more comfortable with what stand to shoot with each wind.