Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
first year bowhunting any advice >

first year bowhunting any advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first year bowhunting any advice

Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Practice,practice,practice and buy the best equipment you can afford. Make sure your bow is very well tuned and practice with Broadheads instead of fieldpoints. Make sure you watch the wind,wear scentlock suit if got one and please for the sake of God wear your safety harness if hunting a treestand.
Think we all together on that one.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes....practice, practice..practice. But remember practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you have someone to teach you how to correctly shoot a bow great. If not go to an archery shop with a range and ask them. They'll likely love to help you out with your form. Practice at 20-30 yards and when you feel comfortable move out to as far as you can shoot safely. I regularly practice out to 70 yards. I won't shoot at game at that range but at that distance minor flaws in my shooting are magnified.
Make sure your bow is perfectly tuned. And shoot your broadheads before you hunt to be sure they are hitting the same POI.
If you're going to be hunting from a treestand practice shooting from an elevated position. (always bend at the hips when shooting up or down)
When you finally get the chance to shoot a deer, aim for the lower 1/3 of the body straight up from behind the back leg on a broadside shot. Back slightly farther on a quartering away shot.
NEVER take a quartering to shot.
After the shot wait a minimum of 45 mins before you start to blood trail your deer. If it was a good shot he won't get any deader. If it was a not so good shot he will have time to expire. If you think you hit too far back - back out of the woods quietly and give the animal at least 4-6 hours before trailing. Once you jump a poorly hit animal the chances of finding him are slim because external bleeding has usually stopped.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-08-2022 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:31 AM
Spike

I have a diamond razor blade and this is the first year I've started bow hunting.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:42 AM
Spike

Get a good mentor to help you learn the basics.
Practice your shooting regularly, both in the backyard and in the woods.
Be patient and don't get discouraged. It takes time to become a good bowhunter.
Most importantly, have fun! Bowhunting is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and connect with nature.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:19 AM
Spike

Make sure you check your broached placement against your target points. This is crucial because very often, even with mechanicals, they will fly and hit differently. There are some great tutorials on how to tune your bow\move your rest to get them grouping together, but make sure they are before you hunt. I would also recommend verifying them throughout the season as well.
Old 10-25-2023, 04:48 AM
Bartender

A lot of great tips. So I will just say have fun with it and don't get down when hunting gets tough.