HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - first year bowhunting any advice
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 07:38 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Yes....practice, practice..practice. But remember practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you have someone to teach you how to correctly shoot a bow great. If not go to an archery shop with a range and ask them. They'll likely love to help you out with your form. Practice at 20-30 yards and when you feel comfortable move out to as far as you can shoot safely. I regularly practice out to 70 yards. I won't shoot at game at that range but at that distance minor flaws in my shooting are magnified.
Make sure your bow is perfectly tuned. And shoot your broadheads before you hunt to be sure they are hitting the same POI.
If you're going to be hunting from a treestand practice shooting from an elevated position. (always bend at the hips when shooting up or down)
When you finally get the chance to shoot a deer, aim for the lower 1/3 of the body straight up from behind the back leg on a broadside shot. Back slightly farther on a quartering away shot.
NEVER take a quartering to shot.
After the shot wait a minimum of 45 mins before you start to blood trail your deer. If it was a good shot he won't get any deader. If it was a not so good shot he will have time to expire. If you think you hit too far back - back out of the woods quietly and give the animal at least 4-6 hours before trailing. Once you jump a poorly hit animal the chances of finding him are slim because external bleeding has usually stopped.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-08-2022 at 07:41 AM.