Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
first year bowhunting any advice >

first year bowhunting any advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first year bowhunting any advice

Old 09-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bassdeer
go back to rifle hunting, we don't need any more bow hunters. get ready to kick yourself in the ass for not starting sooner. sell all your big game guns because you won't pick another one up after you get your first rush with a whitetail and a bow in your hand. Good Luck
lol...I know you are talking to the OP but I like rifle hunting but bow is much more challenging/fun
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Make it so that your stand setups limit your shooting distance so that you won't be tempted. The first few deer I ever shot were within 10-15 yards - takes the pressure off if it's a "chip shot".

Practice drawing your bow as smoothly as possible, holding, making a little bleat sound, and letting your shot go within 2 seconds of the sound. Sounds goofy, but you'll be ready to do it in the woods when you've got to stop your deer for the shot.

If at all unsure of your shot placement, stay as quiet as possible and back out for a couple of hours. The only deer I have lost were ones that I pushed too soon or spooked out of their nearby bed post-liver shot. I've only lost two deer in 25 years, but both were heartbreaking.

Practice in low-light. Be sure your peep lets in enough light to be able to shoot. I've gone to an Anchor sight instead of a peep since I've always had a hard time shooting low light with peeps.

Wear a safety harness - always! The nice added benefit is you can tighten up the strap and turn it into a giant baby bjorn for a little snooze. Hehe.

Enjoy your time in the stand!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right on MNDan. Wear your safety harness, and don't get discouraged. It takes work, patience, and determination to be a successful bow hunter. Be grateful of the little things. Being able to watch the sun rise, and set. The fresh air, the changing colors of the woods. You'll learn that just being out there in the woods is the real treat, and being able to harvest a deer is a bonus.

I've found over the last few years I've been so excited to get to my stand just to be out in the woods. Good luck it will all come together and when it does it is sweet.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
Right on MNDan. Wear your safety harness, and don't get discouraged. It takes work, patience, and determination to be a successful bow hunter. Be grateful of the little things. Being able to watch the sun rise, and set. The fresh air, the changing colors of the woods. You'll learn that just being out there in the woods is the real treat, and being able to harvest a deer is a bonus.

I've found over the last few years I've been so excited to get to my stand just to be out in the woods. Good luck it will all come together and when it does it is sweet.
My wife is learning this...tonight she got tripped up by a moose hanging out by the deer stand...she finally had to scare it off to get out of there by dark lol I wished I had an encounter like that...its a story to tell!!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Spike

Shooting one with a bow is a lot more special to me than killing one with a rifle.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fishhound
Shooting one with a bow is a lot more special to me than killing one with a rifle.
I used to hunt with a rifle only...now I prefer the bow first then rifle as a last resort lol
Old 09-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a saying. I use my bow for hunting and my rifle for filling my tags. I do like both though, but prefer bow.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

BassDeer was right on point. It's addictive. Once you get that 1st pass through you won't be able to wait to unleash the next Arrow. Ps my avitar is just that, my 1st pass through with arrow sticking in the ground
Old 09-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

I started bowhunting 7 years ago and those first two years were rough. I didn't have any family or friends that hunted so i had to learn from trial and error and spending hours upon hours on here and other hunting message boards. The biggest mistake i made when i started was over scouting and putting way to much pressure on the property i was hunting. Get out early and scout during the summer, don't wait until a week before the season starts to go stomping around the property. The biggest mistake i regret was gut shooting a buck that i jumped while walking to my stand. I had been skunked the previous year and was desperate to put some meat in my freezer and took a risky long shot which resulted in me searching for that poor buck for 3 days with no success. Gut shooting that deer was actually a blessing because it really put things into perspective and i became a much more responsible and patient hunter which has resulted in me easily tagging out each and every season since.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dstubb
I started bowhunting 7 years ago and those first two years were rough. I didn't have any family or friends that hunted so i had to learn from trial and error and spending hours upon hours on here and other hunting message boards. The biggest mistake i made when i started was over scouting and putting way to much pressure on the property i was hunting. Get out early and scout during the summer, don't wait until a week before the season starts to go stomping around the property. The biggest mistake i regret was gut shooting a buck that i jumped while walking to my stand. I had been skunked the previous year and was desperate to put some meat in my freezer and took a risky long shot which resulted in me searching for that poor buck for 3 days with no success. Gut shooting that deer was actually a blessing because it really put things into perspective and i became a much more responsible and patient hunter which has resulted in me easily tagging out each and every season since.
least Im not the only one...I got skunked my first year as well...I gut shot a doe though...I was trespassing and I was actually worried I would get shot so I let it go...with work it was tough...the next year I got out more and learned a lot more...I got 4 deer that season....and the following...and last season I got my one doe as I did this season. 09-11 was MD where I could get more...2012 and 2013 season is one deer per season here in Idaho..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.