HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - first year bowhunting any advice
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Wilcam47
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dstubb
I started bowhunting 7 years ago and those first two years were rough. I didn't have any family or friends that hunted so i had to learn from trial and error and spending hours upon hours on here and other hunting message boards. The biggest mistake i made when i started was over scouting and putting way to much pressure on the property i was hunting. Get out early and scout during the summer, don't wait until a week before the season starts to go stomping around the property. The biggest mistake i regret was gut shooting a buck that i jumped while walking to my stand. I had been skunked the previous year and was desperate to put some meat in my freezer and took a risky long shot which resulted in me searching for that poor buck for 3 days with no success. Gut shooting that deer was actually a blessing because it really put things into perspective and i became a much more responsible and patient hunter which has resulted in me easily tagging out each and every season since.
least Im not the only one...I got skunked my first year as well...I gut shot a doe though...I was trespassing and I was actually worried I would get shot so I let it go...with work it was tough...the next year I got out more and learned a lot more...I got 4 deer that season....and the following...and last season I got my one doe as I did this season. 09-11 was MD where I could get more...2012 and 2013 season is one deer per season here in Idaho..