Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Vision problems with bow sight, need help! >

Vision problems with bow sight, need help!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Vision problems with bow sight, need help!

Old 08-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Spike

Default Vision problems with bow sight, need help!

My left eye sees well far but not close, the right eye sees well close but not far. I don’t wear glasses because the brain compensates except at night I have a pair of glasses to help drive night time.

When I look though a bow sight using my right eye without glasses I can see the pin and line of the circles with the peep sight well but can’t see the target. When I put my glasses on I can see the target but the peep and circles are hard to see except the pin. I can shoot OK but would be much more consistent if I could focus on both. I am new to a standard compound, shooting my crossbow and rifle are no problem considering I just focus scope for the right eye

Does anyone else have this challenge and how did you fix it? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same problem you have but probably not as bad. Bad enough that I am aware of it. I wear reading glasses. If you shoot multi pins try shooting with one pin. The one pin sight clears things up alot for me. An I like a one pin sight more anyway.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Also if you shoot a one pin sight HHA makes a magnifier for their one pin sight. Its pretty pricey but probably worth it if your issue it that bad.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Spike

My problem, wearing glasses with progressive lenses, is that the pin is sharp but the target is not in focus (at 40 yards). I tried using my contacts instead (which are for distance only). I can now see the target clearly, while the pin is somewhat fuzzy. The end result is, I can now put a slightly fuzzy pin on a target in focus. My groups at 40 yards are much better now. I'd rather see the kill zone of an animal in focus, with a slightly fuzzy pin, than the other way around.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just my opinion/experience....I stay focused on the pin (HHA sight) and go over the target...I cant focus on both...maybe because I wear contacts. But either way 20-30yd shots are easily do-able. Just takes practice.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing you should understand is that it is physically impossible to have two objects as far apart as a pin and the target in focus at the same time. The eyes don't work that way---even good eyes. Most knowledgeable shooters prefer to have the target clear and the pins have to be a bit blurry. Your total focus should be on the target.

There are a couple things you might want to try. One is to buy a low power pair of reading glasses. Which diopter is trial and error and is something I need to do myself.

The second one I can think of is to get a Specialty Peep sight, probably 1/4". Specialty makes what they call Verifier lenses in different diopters for just what you are experiencing I would guess you'd only need a #4 or #5 lens. The Verifier threads into the peep housing.

The purpose of them is to clear up the pins for people who need bifocals. To fit the peep housing the largest one is actually 3/16" inside diameter. They aren't cheap so if you go thisroute you need to find a shop that sells them. Most shops have a demo board with lenses mounted so you can look through them to get an idea of what you'd need. The next step would be to install a peep in your string and actually try a couple to make sure.

Another nice thing is that Specialty makes different size apertures to fit the housing so possibly all you need is a smaller peep aperture to clear up the pins.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Spike

Default Progressive lenses...

Originally Posted by Edventurous
My problem, wearing glasses with progressive lenses, is that the pin is sharp but the target is not in focus (at 40 yards). I tried using my contacts instead (which are for distance only). I can now see the target clearly, while the pin is somewhat fuzzy. The end result is, I can now put a slightly fuzzy pin on a target in focus. My groups at 40 yards are much better now. I'd rather see the kill zone of an animal in focus, with a slightly fuzzy pin, than the other way around.
Edventurous,
After reading the above posts I had to go check my bow sights to see which part of my bi-focals I was using; found that I was using the distant portion.

My first bi-focals were "progressive" and I totally disliked them; I seemed to only have clear (distant) vision when looking straight ahead through the center of the lenses.

My next pair were the old Ben Franklin type (basic old bi-focals). As mentioned above I have the reading lenses slightly below the center of the lenses and I can see my sights and target very well (can't hit it, but that's a different story! LOL)

I also found that my bi-focals helped my golf game too; when my ball looked blurry I knew I wasn't keeping my head down.

Hope this helps some.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Have you tried keeping both eyes open? I converted to this method a few years ago.

The advantages I find is that my field of vision is greater and I can more quickly bring my bow on target. The only disadvantage is that the focus point is slightly less defined, atleast for me. But after a few hundred arrows I know where to release.

Maybe worth a try...but I do not know if it will help.