Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Matt/Pa  YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! >

Matt/Pa YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Matt/Pa YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2003, 10:41 PM

Default Matt/Pa YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Matt,

Yep, you did it again, you convinced me on buying something

I got your e-mail and private message but havn' t had much time to reply!

I did look around and took your words of advice (it didn' t lead me wrong with the BowTech)

I looked at alot of the brands of mid-sixe binoculars and decided that I wanted a roof prism instead of porro prism. Then I lookedat the features and I realized that Bushnell is about the only reputable company out there making high quality binoculars that meet my criteria

So, time to choose. I was looking at the H2O series as that is probablly the top feature. The H2Oseries is nice, but, not the nicest.

Then, like you suggested, I looked at the full-size Bushnell Legend line-up. Cabelas had me worried, because they are expensive. Heck, the cheapest Bushnell Legend series bino' s on Cabelas are 109.95

I then looked at the Bushnell Trophy series and realized that there isn' t much difference at all, except price So, I started looking at them and realized that they were the binoculars for me.

So, I took your word and decided to go with a larger objective size. The 50mm, I don' t feel are needed and they are just more extra weight, while as I don' t think the 25mm are going to pick up enough light.

So, it was only natural to look at the Bushnell Trophy 10X42. These are the ones that I am considering now. They feature BAK4 roof prisms with high-contrast multi-amber coating. O-ring sealed, nitrogen purged, and with rain-proof and fog proof.

I found them on the internet for $199.95, which is the same price as Cabelas, but, this place also has free shipping.

Now, am I correct in assuming that there isn' t much difference between these two? Are the Legend series that much better than the Trophy Series? The 10X42 Legends (with camo), are $319.99, and they feature Bushnell rain-guard. Is it worth the extra $120.00? What makes the Rain-Guard better than o-ring sealed, nitrogen purged Trophy bino' s with rain and fog proof protection?

If they are that much better, I will probablly get the Legend series.

Any opinions?
Old 09-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Matt/Pa YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

What makes the Legends better is the lens coatings for one, but also the PRISM coating........they are phase corrected, which in a nutshell means that they transmit more light and a sharper image. The Legends probably are also lighter, and made with better glass etc.

I' ll drop you an e-mail later when I get home but I have some links to places that sell these at WAY below what Cabelas does. If you' re looking at Cableas only, you aint lookin' !

You can get the Nikon Monarch ATB' s for around $250, and you whould be able to find the LEgends for not much more. They ARE better glass and worth the money.

The Trophy series should be pretty good, but if I was already prepared to spend $200........I' d drop the other $50-60 and get the better Nikon Monarchs. And don' t get to hung up on " I have to have Camo binos" they look cool but aren' t necessary.

Like I said in the e-mail a Bino like the LEgend or Monarch or Pentax DCF-WP would be the last pair you should realistically EVER need. If you spend $200 on a pair that doesn' t have the features of a pair that' s $50-60 more your eye is always going to wandering........and you' ll be WONDERING.

I don' t have time right now but look over on the first page of the GUN forum.......I think there is a thread about " Scopes" that gives several very good links to places that sell quality optics for a lot less $$$.

Oh yeah!
I know you have your heart set on the 10X42' s but the 10X really isn' t necessary for PA hunting. The 8X is all you' ll need, will be a little brighter , lighter and less expensive.
I have 8X43' s and use them for everything. Unless I' m doing some extended spotting out West etc. the 10X' s are wasted, and I' m losing brightness.
Oh....and if you ever want to shoot any IBO 3D competitions the 10X is illegal. 8.5X is the limit. (Just another consideration cause you don' t know when that bug will hit)
Old 09-24-2003, 08:49 AM

The following website usually helps me find good delas over the internet.

www.dealtime.com

I did a search for Bushnell Legend and here is the best price I found.

Bushnell Legend 13-0142 (10x42) Binocular
DigitalFoto has them for about $234
I purchases my rangefinder from them and they are very good to deal with.

Hope this might help.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:59 AM

Unless you have a consistent need for long range viewing, 10-power binoculars are unnecessary and could be problematic for you. They have to be held extremely rigid or what you are trying to view will be dancing; usually have a smaller " field of view" (which (FOV) is a plus to reduce head movement), have a smaller depth of field (cannot focus well on objects that are at a close range), and, depending on the quality, the view is usually darker then it is through a 7 or 8 power.

I have used binoculars for hunting and professionally and I have personally found that 7 and 8-power x 35MM, wide angle, with FULL COATED LENS and adjustable focus to be the best all around bino' s for quick and steady use. In the timber, I like my 7X15X35MM with " quick zoom."

If you have a need for long-range use, or need to count the hairs on a deer….that is not too close, then 10-power might be best for you. Otherwise, you may be committing " overkill" and may find you have spent a lot of money for something that will not perform as you expected or desired.

As for " roof vs. porro" prism; again, what is your need to justify the cost…especially cost for repair? Both my binos are " porro" and I can see the deer just fine. My 7X15X35MM are older " Sears" model that I have banged and drug through the dirt, rain, and snow for several years. I can still cleary see the distance and object I need to see for the brief intervals and time I would be glassing while deer hunting.

In the end, it is a matter of personal choice and the right to spend one' s money as he or she wishes. However, in this case performance will rule in the end.

http://www.backyardhabitats.net/Optics%20Info.HTM