Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 can u call in turkeys in the fall?? >

can u call in turkeys in the fall??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

can u call in turkeys in the fall??

Old 09-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default can u call in turkeys in the fall??

ive got a nice flock of about 15 going through everyday, can you call them when its not breeding season??
Old 09-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: can u call in turkeys in the fall??

I' ve had success calling fall birds by simple KeeKee' s and Clucks.......or a KEEKEE-Run call. This without even breaking them up. They just naturally investigate a lost sounding bird many times.

If that doesn' t work and you have a visual on the birds, lay your bow down and try to catch one!! Scatter them as much as possible, in several different directions. Then get your gear and settle in close to where you broke them up. After a while you should start to hear them calling to one another trying to get back together........The same KEEKEE and KEEKEE-Run calls should do the trick.
Don' t draw until the birds head is behind something.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:58 PM

interesting matt. know of the scattering technique. hadn' t thought of it with the calls. my advice would have been to go to TR' s board. Seem to remember his writing some on the subject.

Have had interesting experiences with them coming in to feeders. They almost run you over. BUT hunting within 100 yds of bait is illegal in OK.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:49 PM

Absolutely!!! Scouting for them will pay off as well. Find feeding areas and concentrate efforts there.But as Matt said bustin em is a riot!!!!! We take guys out here and get em busted and can keep callin em back even after they' re shot at!!!! The young birds can be like fish in a barrel but the trick is to try and wait out the more mature birds. Kee-kee' s , kee-kee runs and location clucks are best stay away from agressive " spring type" calls, soft ,short yelps will work as well. If it' s legal and you know where they roost you can walk thru the area scattering them in the pre-dawn and they become almost panic stricken trying to find everyone!!!!Hope this helps, I' m no pro but these work for me!!
Old 09-23-2003, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I often combine fall bowhunting for deer with Turkey hunting.

Its ALOT easier to call in a fall flock - they are mostly young adults and inexperienced. Their calls are not refined and sometimes don' t even resemble a turkey very much. I' ve called them in with just my mouth - calling PEEEE ---PEEEE kyuuuk,,,,,,,. - A mouth call is better.

If you know where they roost, hang out there before they come in at night - Duplicate the sounds you hear - a fall flock is a VERY loud flock coming into roost. Another option is to get in the roost area BEFORE light - I' ve set right in the very trees the turkeys are rossted in. A quick note about hunting the roosting area with a bow ..... ITS NO CAKE WALK. 15 sets of eyes catch you drawing the bow more often than not - windy days are best to take a bird.

Sometimes the turkeys around me are VERY annoying when deer hunting -in the mornings especially when they tend to linger longer. Many times have I had deer get wise because a turkey caught me repositioning in the stand. Sometimes I' ll scare them off if I see them coming in prime time for deer.

One last note: its not uncommon to call in a coyote with kee-kee runs and other turkey calls.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:12 PM

Like nobody' s business. Water sources in the morning are great in the fall.