Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How far should i park away >

How far should i park away

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far should i park away

Old 09-23-2003, 02:08 PM

Default How far should i park away

The farm i hunt at is a little 40 ac farm not to big, and the farmer has a little tractor road that goes around his property, and he says he leaves vechicals out there all the time does that mean i can park a little closer to the stand than i would normally cause the deer are used to cars or should i keep parking on the side of the road?
Old 09-23-2003, 02:12 PM

Default RE: How far should i park away

I would park where I could walk the last 200-300 yards just to be on the safe side. I would rather walk a littles ways than let my truck or 4 wheeler spook that big buck
Old 09-23-2003, 02:15 PM

It never fails. Everytime I park more than 200 yards from my stand, I see nothing all day long. And on the way back, I' ll see deer feeding by my truck. [:@]

I' m thinking of building a box blind in the bed.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:25 PM

If it' s only forty acres and you are in good health, by all means hoof it in. Probably a pretty easy walk on the farmers road anyhow. Personally, I have always been very leary of creating a situation the deer are not used to and messing them up. The deer are probably not used to your vehicle for one, and driving a vehicle on that road in the dark is going to make a lot of unwanted noise and greater chance of spooking deer in my opinion. Just my two cents worth.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe tie a smelly sock on the door handle and park the truck so the deer will avoid it and travel past your stand. Sorta like a motionless driver or stander. We all know how a deer eludes them by circling .
Old 09-23-2003, 04:51 PM

I would try to get within a coupla hundred yds. The deer aren' t afraid of the vehicles. IMO
The farther you have to walk, you will get hotter and sweat more and probably leave more Human Scent on your trail. Watch the wind and you should be fine.
And good luck!!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess you guys never heard of many hunters out in the midwest setting up on purpose on the ground behind farm equipment. Works great with trucks or cars also. Funny you mentioned this . I just got home from sitting in my ground blind in the woods, just scouting.Seen 1 deer.When I came out of the woods there were 25 deer feeding around my garden tractor I drive to my blinds.I had to chase them to go home.