Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Women Hunters/BowHunters - Where are you? >

Women Hunters/BowHunters - Where are you?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Women Hunters/BowHunters - Where are you?

Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
My wife isn't a hunter but she is an avid Bow Shooter (Is that the correct term? lol). She got into the sport so she could spend time with me at the range, but now she absolutely loves it. Shes shooting a Diamond Razor Edge at 40 lbs.
Haha I guess - bow shooter...maybe target shooter? lol

Thats great that she is shooting and yall are spending time together. She doesnt have the desire to go hunting yet? Its so much more than just the harvest - the experience of being out there is amazing! I bet she would enjoy it!!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
My wife isn't a hunter but she is an avid Bow Shooter (Is that the correct term? lol)...
As dorky as it sounds sometimes, I think the term for a "bow shooter" that isn't a "bowhunter" would be "archer". There have been phases of my life where I only hunted with a rifle, but shot bows a lot for pleasure or competition, then I called myself an archer. "Bowman" or "bowsman" get miss-used sometimes, both referring to an oarsman at the front of a boat, with bow pronounced like you are "bowing" before the king, like Bo or beau, or archer's bow.

I like "archer," it's kind of like "marksman" for a rifle hunter.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by CamoCandaceQOC
Hey Yall from Texas...I have been looking around on here a little bit and haven't seen a whole lot of female hunters. There is a lot to look through so I am hoping to find them through this thread!

Shoot Straight Ladies!!!
It's good to see another female here on Huntingnet. I hunt with both bow and gun. I've gotten three deer with my bow and one, the last one, with my muzzleloader. I've also taken many rabbits and woodchucks. Rabbits with a 20 ga. and woodchucks with a single shot .22. (We eat the woodchucks which are really just a big squirrel.)

My husband finds them and I do the shooting. I do love hunting, but we're both very busy so our time is limited. I don't have one of those expensive bows that you can brag about. My bow is a used Pro-line youth bow we bought at a yard sale for $20. It's only 30 pound draw weight. Lucklily for me there's no minimum draw weight here. (I'm very small, four foot seven and 73 pounds. About the same size as a 10-year old girl.)

I'll be watching for posts from you. Hunting is not just for the guys.

May The Sheep Be With You
Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
As dorky as it sounds sometimes, I think the term for a "bow shooter" that isn't a "bowhunter" would be "archer". There have been phases of my life where I only hunted with a rifle, but shot bows a lot for pleasure or competition, then I called myself an archer. "Bowman" or "bowsman" get miss-used sometimes, both referring to an oarsman at the front of a boat, with bow pronounced like you are "bowing" before the king, like Bo or beau, or archer's bow.

I like "archer," it's kind of like "marksman" for a rifle hunter.
There ya go Archer! thats the word I was looking for haha!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sachiko
It's good to see another female here on Huntingnet. I hunt with both bow and gun. I've gotten three deer with my bow and one, the last one, with my muzzleloader. I've also taken many rabbits and woodchucks. Rabbits with a 20 ga. and woodchucks with a single shot .22. (We eat the woodchucks which are really just a big squirrel.)

My husband finds them and I do the shooting. I do love hunting, but we're both very busy so our time is limited. I don't have one of those expensive bows that you can brag about. My bow is a used Pro-line youth bow we bought at a yard sale for $20. It's only 30 pound draw weight. Lucklily for me there's no minimum draw weight here. (I'm very small, four foot seven and 73 pounds. About the same size as a 10-year old girl.)

I'll be watching for posts from you. Hunting is not just for the guys.

Awesome! Finally another female on here! So glad to see your out there hunting and enjoying the outdoors. Doesnt matter what kind of bow you have, obviously you have taken deer with it and thats all that matters. There are great bows out there that don't cost a whole lot, just find what fits you and go with.

I love getting more women in the outdoors, its a passion of mine
Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by CamoCandaceQOC
Awesome! Finally another female on here! So glad to see your out there hunting and enjoying the outdoors. Doesnt matter what kind of bow you have, obviously you have taken deer with it and thats all that matters. There are great bows out there that don't cost a whole lot, just find what fits you and go with.

I love getting more women in the outdoors, its a passion of mine
Never gave any thought to hunting or shooting until I met my husband. He taught me. We always hunt together. Our older daughter, Miram, (age 5) was with us in December when I got my muzzleloader deer. Miriam got her own bow for Christmas, a children's bow. We had arrows made for her so she could actually practice with it. (The arrows that come with those bows are junk.) She's also learning to shoot the same single-shot .22 I learned on. Her younger sister watches and learns.

It's important to get kids into shooting and hunting. It makes my husband really angry when we go out to the range and see guys practicing, but nobody has brought their kids along. Why not?

I'll be watching for your posts.

(The sheep are all named Shirley. Makes it easy to remember their names.)

Welcome to Huntingnet
Old 03-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Spike

Never gave any thought to hunting or shooting until I met my husband. He taught me. We always hunt together. Our older daughter, Miram, (age 5) was with us in December when I got my muzzleloader deer. Miriam got her own bow for Christmas, a children's bow. We had arrows made for her so she could actually practice with it. (The arrows that come with those bows are junk.) She's also learning to shoot the same single-shot .22 I learned on. Her younger sister watches and learns.

It's important to get kids into shooting and hunting. It makes my husband really angry when we go out to the range and see guys practicing, but nobody has brought their kids along. Why not?

I'll be watching for your posts.

(The sheep are all named Shirley. Makes it easy to remember their names.)

Welcome to Huntingnet

Thats awesome that you are getting your children involved. .22's are great guns for kids to start with. And yes its frustrating to see families who don't involve their children. I write a lot about hunting, especially the basics for women getting involved. You can find some of my blogs at the link in my signature.

My husband got me into hunting too. I grew up in the outdoors though fishing and everything else, just never had a place to hunt. Now we share it, our lives revolve around it, its our passion
Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

This thread would be better with pictures of women hunters.... jus saying.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Little Doe Peep

Talking

Childhood is not just a time to play. It's also a time to learn to be a grownup. We took Miriam with us when I got my muzzleloader deer. She was calm and respectful as we thanked the deer's spirit for giving us its life. She observed as we gutted. She and her sister both know that meat doesn't grow in plastic wrapped packages from the grocery store. Of course, we do buy a lot of meat at the store, but it doesn't grow that way.

It's not just hunting and fishing. They help with the chores and they help me pick out the fruits and vegetables at the grocery store. Miriam can almost prepare an entire meal by herself. I'm proud to say her otsukemono is indistinguishable from mine. I do supervise closely at the stove, particularly with the wok, but Miriam will soon be able to do everything I can do. Her little sister also watches and learns.

Our principal recreation is to go out in the woods and look for animals or identify the plants, or just walk and enjoy being out there. The girls never watch TV. My husband and I will sometimes watch a video from Netflix, but the girls never watch TV, not even so-called children's shows.

Miriam is getting to be quite a good shot. She is really looking forward to being allowed to hunt. Okay, I'll stop boasting about my kids now and let someone else take over.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Spike

Childhood is not just a time to play. It's also a time to learn to be a grownup. We took Miriam with us when I got my muzzleloader deer. She was calm and respectful as we thanked the deer's spirit for giving us its life. She observed as we gutted. She and her sister both know that meat doesn't grow in plastic wrapped packages from the grocery store. Of course, we do buy a lot of meat at the store, but it doesn't grow that way.

It's not just hunting and fishing. They help with the chores and they help me pick out the fruits and vegetables at the grocery store. Miriam can almost prepare an entire meal by herself. I'm proud to say her otsukemono is indistinguishable from mine. I do supervise closely at the stove, particularly with the wok, but Miriam will soon be able to do everything I can do. Her little sister also watches and learns.

Our principal recreation is to go out in the woods and look for animals or identify the plants, or just walk and enjoy being out there. The girls never watch TV. My husband and I will sometimes watch a video from Netflix, but the girls never watch TV, not even so-called children's shows.

Miriam is getting to be quite a good shot. She is really looking forward to being allowed to hunt. Okay, I'll stop boasting about my kids now and let someone else take over.

There are no words for what you are doing & raising your children. Its amazing to hear about parents that are doing the right thing, very rare in todays world. proud!! boast all you want!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.