Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Women Hunters/BowHunters - Where are you? >

Women Hunters/BowHunters - Where are you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Women Hunters/BowHunters - Where are you?

Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Spike

Default Women Hunters/BowHunters - Where are you?

Hey Yall from Texas...I have been looking around on here a little bit and haven't seen a whole lot of female hunters. There is a lot to look through so I am hoping to find them through this thread!

Shoot Straight Ladies!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't help you myself, but my wife is a female hunter. Better long range shootist even than I am, and getting pretty dang handy with a bow. I think next season we're going to jump her up to a short-draw men's bow to give her some extra poundage (only shooting 53lb out of her Mathews Jewel right now).
Old 03-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I can't help you myself, but my wife is a female hunter. Better long range shootist even than I am, and getting pretty dang handy with a bow. I think next season we're going to jump her up to a short-draw men's bow to give her some extra poundage (only shooting 53lb out of her Mathews Jewel right now).
Thanks for responding! only 53lbs? I only shoot 44 with my mathews DXT haha. That is more than plenty to take an animal! Good for her! Trying to find the ladies out there!! Its kind of a passion of mine!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I shouldn't say "only 53lbs", but she handles her draw incredibly well, and she stacks stick at 30yrds, so she's looking to increase her killing range a little more. Looking to try out a Bowtech Assassin SD (short draw), give her a little more poundage and hopefully a little more speed with a heavier arrow to get her out to 45yrds or so.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Spike

AWESOME!! Looks great!!! It makes me so happy to see women involved in hunting, especially bow hunting. I know how happy I am doing it and I hope to share it with so many more.

Does she a difference with the reverse roll assist on the jewel vs others she has shot? When i got my Mathews (DXT) they hadn't come out with the womens bows yet...

Have fun getting it all set up! Glad to see other couples hunting together!

Whats her favorite harvest with her bow so far?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife cant shoot compound bow due to shoulder surgery/shoulder problems...she loves her crossbow though...shes killed 3 deer. I got her hooked on it last year and she killed 2 her first season a spike and small doe. this year she got a huge doe.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CamoCandaceQOC
AWESOME!! Looks great!!! It makes me so happy to see women involved in hunting, especially bow hunting. I know how happy I am doing it and I hope to share it with so many more.

Does she a difference with the reverse roll assist on the jewel vs others she has shot? When i got my Mathews (DXT) they hadn't come out with the womens bows yet...

Have fun getting it all set up! Glad to see other couples hunting together!

Whats her favorite harvest with her bow so far?
My wife only picked up a bow this fall, we were out scouting at one of our spots right before season and ran across a bachelor group of 9 bucks, 6 that we considered shooters. Looking through the binos at the biggest buck, I whispered, "two weeks and you're dead, my friend." My wife contested that I got the big buck last year, so she wanted this one. I told her she had better find "a stick, a string, and a pointy thing!"

So the next day we went bow shopping.

She tried out every woman's bow we could find, the Vixxen, Heartbreaker, Jewel, Homewrecker, Siren, and a few short draw men's bows like the Assassin SD (not the same bow as the Heartbreaker). She was down to deciding between a Bowtech Heartbreaker and a Bear Siren, but as soon as she felt the grip and draw-stroke on the Mathews Jewel, she knew that was THE BOW for her.

I had a z7 for a few years, and I do think that the RA roller guard does help with the draw stroke. Does it make it easier to draw? Eh, not as much as a lot of other features would, but the little Jewel is as smooth as glass (surpasses my z7 in my hands), it's a VERY nice shooting bow.

She's only taken one animal with it so far, she picked up a respectable 9pt buck with it on her first day in the field with a bow! Not a monster, but she was thrilled with getting a buck that big on her first day with the bow. (For the record, she had morning sickness that lasted ALL DAY LONG during the rest of season, so no doe this year for her!)

She'd like to get a Heartbreaker or an Assassin SD because she'd like the extra speed. She's shooting a 360grn arrow now, which is a bit heavy for her little 50lb bow, she'd like to get up to 60-65lbs and see if she can scrounge up another 30fps. She's shooting very well at 60yrds, but her drop and velocity at 40yrds is so low, I'm really not confident it'll get the job done. Her impact at 23yrds this year didn't pass-through, so we're looking for a step up for her.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

My wife isn't a hunter but she is an avid Bow Shooter (Is that the correct term? lol). She got into the sport so she could spend time with me at the range, but now she absolutely loves it. Shes shooting a Diamond Razor Edge at 40 lbs.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
My wife cant shoot compound bow due to shoulder surgery/shoulder problems...she loves her crossbow though...shes killed 3 deer. I got her hooked on it last year and she killed 2 her first season a spike and small doe. this year she got a huge doe.
Hey I don't judge! Any woman that gets out in the field and gets it done is great! Thats awesome she is using a cross bow - sorry she has shoulder problems but at least she can still hunt!

Meat in the freezer is awesome! Im guessing she isnt on the forum then? Well tell her congrats on her first kills and welcome to the addiction haha!!!

Thanks for responding!!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
My wife only picked up a bow this fall, we were out scouting at one of our spots right before season and ran across a bachelor group of 9 bucks, 6 that we considered shooters. Looking through the binos at the biggest buck.....

So glad to hear she tried out different bows. My husband and I both shoot Mathews (Him-Drenaline, Me-DXT) and love them. I hope to eventually get a new one of their womens lines but I LOVE my DXT and finally got it exactly where I want it.

Congrats on her first day, first buck, first bow kill! I bet she was pumped and will remember that moment forever!!! It took me 5 years to get a mainframe buck. Super hard hunting at one of the places we hunt in Texas - low fence, super skiddish, (we call them harvard smart deer) so it was a big deal when I got him lol. I wrote a blog about it called "BitterSweet Buck" because we had problems tracking with the rain and what not...anyway I can talk forever lol...

One of my fellow 'queens' shoots the Heartbreaker, she is extremely new, only shoots maybe 40lbs and gets pass throughs like crazy with the slick tricks; she took a black buck, 2 bucks, a doe and some hogs this year so she was pumped too. She really likes her bow too.

You said her impact at 23 yards didnt pass through...what broadhead & what animal? I only shoot 44lbs like I said and I get pass throughs...I use the Muzzy Phantom 2-blades, (cut on contact) which is great for low draw weight. I have also heard the magmus stingers & slick tricks are great for low draw weight too.

Im sure if she gets up to 60 or 65 lbs she should have no problems. Even 50 ish is more than plenty. It does take time to get everything tuned just right so I am glad to hear yall are working on it!

Sorry I am just excited to hear so much about other women bowhunting lol....

Thanks for responding!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.