Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where should I set up shop? >

Where should I set up shop?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where should I set up shop?

Old 09-20-2003, 01:41 PM

Default Where should I set up shop?

Hello everyone, thanks for looking at my post. I just recently got permission too hunt a 200-300 acres of land, mostly state here in mn. Well, u might ask yourself why u would need permission too hunt state land and the answer is because this state land is land locked and has no access but by the people who own the land around it. Well, Ive been trying too get into it for years because I knew it wasnt hardly ever hunted and finally I got this old gent too give me permission too cross his pasture too get too it. Ive known him for years, but his son kind of ran things around there even though it was the old mans and he wouldnt let anyone back there. Well, the son just moved out of state and the old guy gave in and said go for it. Well, the season started last weekend and I obviously didnt get time too scout it before the season started because of not being aloud on there. Well, I got a chance too walk it today. Its like alot of state land, its got trails and such and alot of thick woods. It has just about every tree possible and a few plantations, but no fields. There is deer sign everywhere. Trails and bedding and droppings and such. I mainly walked the main trails today so I could figure out what went where. I didnt see much as far as scrapes or rubs. Where do u fellows think I should start? Its kind of late in the game, but I know there is a ton of deer back there. I kicked many a deer up stalking through the woods today. I have a portable tree climber so I can pretty much set up shop anywhere. I did find some water on the place, but it didnt look like it was used much. Not really anyone sign around it. Well, for those who hunt public land, let me here what u have too say.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Where should I set up shop?

Without a lot of time to learn the area and scout it out I would find good edge territory and then look for converging and crossing trials. Near these crossings find and mark several trees for your stand so you can set your stand in a downwind situation. Be especally careful with your scent as you approach your stand location and especially your feet.

Remember normally Whitetails spend the time from birth to death in a narrow area about 1-1/2 miles long.

Good luck.