HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What broad head has the largest cut dia?????
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
fletch920
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CamoCop
bad information. the only time a smaller fixed blade will out perform a large mechanical is when they are shot through steel barrels. common sense says when you have larger blades that have less support, due to their function by opening on impact, from their ferrule, will usually break before smaller blades that have full length contact with the ferrule for support.

mechanicals do what they are designed to do and they do it very well. yes a fixed head is on average a stronger head but we are not hunting steel barrels. any mechanical on the market today is more than capable of killing any animal in North America.
I have stuck several muzzy's through shoulder blades. You might think of a shoulder blade as being like a barrel. I stand by what I said and it is in fact good information from over 30 years of killing game with a bow. I have tried them all and will never go back to a large expandable for anything other than turkeys. A smaller fixed head will outperform a large expandable many times over when it comes to getting pass-through shots. Also, I can pull them out of the dirt, sharpen the blades and shoot them again. You wont do that with a cheaply made Rage. Several outfitters in the midwest will not even allow the Rages on their properties. And, they are illegal in some states. Sorry Rage lovers, but facts are facts. By your own admission, the long, unsupported blades are more likely to fail or break. Sounds like your "good" information came from the marketing department of Rage. Mine came from the field.