Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanicals or Fixed Blade >

Mechanicals or Fixed Blade

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanicals or Fixed Blade

Old 09-18-2003, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mechanicals or Fixed Blade

Go to www.broadheadtests.com and click on the mech vs fixed section. Matt/Pa gave you some excellent info, but what he was looking for was your total Kinetic energy, or at the very least your draw weight, draw length, arrow type and wieght if you know it, etc. To know your total KE you need your arrow wieght and speed. their are some mechanicals that will penetrate and work as well as most fixed blade heads, but only a very few. Most need more KE to push the larger blades through game, and bow tune is just as critical with mech heads as it is for fixed blades. Like Matt said we cant recomend a head that will work well with your setup unless we have all the information. That said when in doubt go with a fixed blade head, their is far less margin of error with them, and less chance of choosing the wrong head for your setup.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

There are alwasy trade-offs in archery......

Mechanicals are extremely easy to get to fly straight-much easier for the average guy, and if you have the KE to spare, why not shoot em? Often, with a carbon arrow set-up at high speeds it can be pretty hard to get a fixed blade head to fly well, and when you do, a minor change in tuning can throw the head off considerably. Using a carbon arrow/mechanical head combo, compared to an aluminum/fixed combo, you will experience a much wider range estimation error window, much easier tunability, and wider cutting diameters.

I' ve used the slivertips for a few years now and really like them. The longer head and sleek design are two plusses for the heads, not to mention the price. I know some guys down in KY that have shot over 75 deer with them in the past 4 years or so, with no losses (of course they do know how to track a deer!).

In my opinion, there are quite a few hunters out there right now shooting cabon arrows and high speeds, that absolutely should not be shooting fixed blade heads with there design because they simply do not know how to tune their bows properly.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 09-18-2003, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mossy I have a Browning Ambush also, the draw weight is 70 pounds with a 29 inch draw length and if your even close to this you will have KE to spare, I use Spitfires.