Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanicals vs. Fixed Blade Broadheads >

Mechanicals vs. Fixed Blade Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanicals vs. Fixed Blade Broadheads

Old 08-14-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Mechanicals vs. Fixed Blade Broadheads

What are some of the pros and cons of mechanical and fixed blade broadheads? I was told by a guy (at the KC cabelas) that the vortex mechanical broadheads are the way to go if you choose the mechanical route. What does everyone think?
Old 08-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mechanicals vs. Fixed Blade Broadheads

In my honest opinion with the super quality and super flying fixed blade heads that are out today there is no need to shoot a mechanical any more.

Slick trick, Stingers, Montec, Wasp bullets just to name a few.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

In my honest opinion with the super quality and super flying fixed blade heads that are out today there is no need to shoot a mechanical any more.
Perfect!! Thats my exact thoughts as well.

But some people have had great success with mech's the past few years, I guess if you find what works for you, stick with it! Good luck.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got nothing against mechanicals but I still like fixed blades. I think of if this way, something can go wrong with a mechanical nothing can really go wrong with a fixed blade it will perform the same no matter what. Now there are people on here that say they have shot dozens of animals w/o a problem but that doesn't mean there "couldn't" be a problem. I have only shot two deer with my bow and they were both with mechanicals because I couldn't get fixed bhs to tune out of my underspined arrows. I know this wasn't the way to fix this problem but I was on a tight budget and it needed to be this way. Anyway I felt that with the certain brand of mechs that I used there was a problem when they contacted bone and richoet.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:06 PM

I have used both mechanicals and fixed broadheads. I now use fixed blade, muzzy 100gr are in my opinion are the best blades for my set up. Now I know a person or 2 who uses the mechanical excuse to compensate for a poorly tuned bow. If you dont have the time to practice to much mech. is the way to go provided you have the ke it takes to open em
Fixed blades are reliable, most mech.are reliable too, but theres always that question in the back of my head.....anything mechanical has the tendancy to fail from time to time....I dont wanna take the chance.
I used Rockets a few years ago and to tell you the truth dident have a problem with em at all. The wound they made was awesome.
If you decide to go mechanical check the blade angle because some really have a poor blade angle.......bu suckers still buy em
Old 08-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

I switched to fixed blades in my second year and have'nt looked back. Its all about perfection. I have learned many things on this board and the #1 thing is to be proficent with all your equipment. This means all parts of the arrow, your bow, tuning etc. My biggest mistake was not shooting and checking every new arrow for trueness, flight, grouping and fletching clearance. You owe it to the animal, a quick and ethical kill.

Also, mechanicals are not for everyone. Your bow must have the proper energy to open them. Even then they may fail on certain shots. I think their best feature is good flight without adjustments otherwise I think there will allways be a debate wether or not there're any good. If you have doubts then you know what to do.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:44 AM

I use to shoot fixed blades and now shoot mechanicle. I feel they are more accurate with less tuning problems. I practice with field points then with the mechanicle tips. My groups are just as tight and a lot less tuning involved.
just my .02 worth
Old 08-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

My opinion? {take it for whatever it's worth...}

I've heard people rave about Spitfires. They fly exactly like a field point.

But then, I have never shot a mechanical either.... I shoot Thunderheads and love them! [8D] I have Easton's tuning guide and read countless threads on tuning broadheads too. My old PSE bow has been setup and is still setup for shooting Easton XX75's #2315's at 30.5". Also at 65# draw and 30" draw length, it needs a 125gr tip. The speed ain't exactly the fastest, but the KE and overall weight make the arrow seem to hit like a Mack truck. All my arrows have the Thunderheads perfectly aligned with the fletchings, and they fly perfecly straight just like my field tips.

I'd like to try a mechanical blade sometime, but for now, I am all setup with Thunderheads. I guess once you find that "perfect" broadhead, you stick with it.

Butch A.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

In my honest opinion with the super quality and super flying expandable blade heads that are out today there is no need to shoot a fixed blade any more.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

like they said, mechanicals arent for everyone. i shoot them and have had good results. i shot 2 does with them last year. one left no blood trail and i was thinking of changing to fixed blades the entire time i was looking for her. when i rolled her over, it was a high hit and exit. the spitfires decimated her lungs. the other doe i shot a couple of weeks later just before the rut from a ground blind and she left a really really good blood trail, but died 20 yards from where i shot her. by the time realized that i hit her, she fell down. i shot her at 7 yards and couldnt see or hear my arrow hit. it all happened so fast, ya know?

i say shoot a couple of different designs and choose. i would reccommend choosing a broadhead with a solid bone-crushing tip, not a replaceable blade tip. i have a bad feeling that those will be weak if they hit a shoulder.

i shoot an lx set at 72 lbs and so does my friend. we both have the same sight, stabilizer, arrows, and rest. i shoot spitfires and he shoots Cabela's supershort fixed blade broadheads. and we both shoot three arrows touching at 20 yards. so it is all in the setup and the shooter taking the time to tune and shoot his bow.

when it comes down to it, as long as everything is uniform one shot to the next you will shoot good groups.

Quick Reply: Mechanicals vs. Fixed Blade Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.