Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How far do you go with scent >

How far do you go with scent

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far do you go with scent

Old 10-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

and here I am thinking that actually being in the stand is the biggest thing! Whew! I'd better go freshen up!
My Pall Mall cigs don't stink!! Try one out," it's all the RAGE" Lol!
Will the vampires get me if I take my garlic necklace off?

Sounds like you've got the right idea. Spray your boots. Choose your approach/stand according to wind direction. Enjoy your hunt!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Banned

during hunting season all my laundry literaally everything is washed with scent free detergent. and all hhunting cloths inclluding underwear socks shirts anything i might wear during a hunt is kept in scent free totes. my scent lok is in a seperate tote with my back pack and any thing i might use for a hunt like antlers binocs are in the tote with my scent lok. i shower before every hunt with scent free soap. i dress. drive to my area. undress and then spray down with scent away. redress in new clean under garmets. then put on my scent lok and rubber boots. spray down again and walk to my stand. i will periodically while on stand spray down with scent away focusing on my neck and waist. basically where scent escapes alot. but nothing will make up for basic common sence and using the wind correctlly. i do all this and never ignore the wind. i try to always make sure deer are 99 percent not going to come from down wind. and to answer your question yes deer can still smell ur cloths and you for that matter through your hunting cloths
Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go 25 feet up a tree and it doesnt matter if you poop your pants, nothing will smell it. I dont use atractants, or cover scent, or bait.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by furgitter
I go 25 feet up a tree and it doesnt matter if you poop your pants, nothing will smell it. I dont use atractants, or cover scent, or bait.
HAHAHA. this is awesome^
Old 10-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
during hunting season all my laundry literaally everything is washed with scent free detergent. and all hhunting cloths inclluding underwear socks shirts anything i might wear during a hunt is kept in scent free totes. my scent lok is in a seperate tote with my back pack and any thing i might use for a hunt like antlers binocs are in the tote with my scent lok. i shower before every hunt with scent free soap. i dress. drive to my area. undress and then spray down with scent away. redress in new clean under garmets. then put on my scent lok and rubber boots. spray down again and walk to my stand. i will periodically while on stand spray down with scent away focusing on my neck and waist. basically where scent escapes alot. but nothing will make up for basic common sence and using the wind correctlly. i do all this and never ignore the wind. i try to always make sure deer are 99 percent not going to come from down wind. and to answer your question yes deer can still smell ur cloths and you for that matter through your hunting cloths
Sounds like we went to the same school. I as well wil not wear the same under clothes 2 days in a row. I will either hang them out to air dry if I didn't sweat or if I did, I will wash them with the hose and hang out to dry. New, clean underclothes the next day.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Spike

Used to be a big scent freak, would gobble up chlorophyll capsules from health food stores. Now just keep hunting outer-wear in very big tub with a closed bottle of skunk oil. . .in the garage. . .
Old 10-30-2012, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

I just keep my clothes in my hunting closet. I used to bag my clothes up but it just seemed unneccessary so why do it? I agree that playing the wind is much, more important. Though I do still bag my clothes if leaving them in the car or truck all day while at work. My hunting closet is a much more controlled environment. lol. Other than that, I like to spray my boots down before walking in but I dont use scent killer other than that. For laundry detergent, I use Cheer which has no UV Brightners and no fabric softner. Scent is usually gone by the time of hunting and if not, it's not human odor, which I'd be more worried about.

What I am considering doing next year, and what I think people should be more concerned about is working on masking my breath since I hunt from the ground a lot. I see those surgical masks for sale that are dipped in carbon. Camo ones that fit snug to your face, not the ones you buy at the hardware store. You could just buy one set and keep regenerating them with some carbon dip.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by minnesotadeer
I just keep my clothes in my hunting closet. I used to bag my clothes up but it just seemed unneccessary so why do it? I agree that playing the wind is much, more important. Though I do still bag my clothes if leaving them in the car or truck all day while at work. My hunting closet is a much more controlled environment. lol. Other than that, I like to spray my boots down before walking in but I dont use scent killer other than that. For laundry detergent, I use Cheer which has no UV Brightners and no fabric softner. Scent is usually gone by the time of hunting and if not, it's not human odor, which I'd be more worried about.

What I am considering doing next year, and what I think people should be more concerned about is working on masking my breath since I hunt from the ground a lot. I see those surgical masks for sale that are dipped in carbon. Camo ones that fit snug to your face, not the ones you buy at the hardware store. You could just buy one set and keep regenerating them with some carbon dip.
Why don't you just wear a facemask to cover your breath? It would be a lot more comftorble than a surgical mask. I personally dont think breath is a big deal but they also make a chewable gum for hunters. Looking into that might be better too...
Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt in a ceder swamp, so i keep all my gear in a rubber tote with ceder branches inside!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TheMASTERBlaster
Why don't you just wear a facemask to cover your breath? It would be a lot more comftorble than a surgical mask. I personally dont think breath is a big deal but they also make a chewable gum for hunters. Looking into that might be better too...
The thought is that your breath would be filtered through the carbon mask and the scent mostly contained. The surgical masks, the one that sit flat against your face without any wires in them, are not that uncomfortable. Plus. I like to face paint any ways so the less of a mask for me the better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.