Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What' syour game plan? >

What' syour game plan?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What' syour game plan?

Old 09-10-2003, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What' syour game plan?

I know things can change a lot as the season progresses, but in general going into a season do you have a game plan and what is it? Shoot does early, then wait on a buck? Go for the buck then the does? Do you have certain areas you' ll hunt only during certain parts of the season?

For me I try and shoot does early and often. If a shooter buck walks by fine, but I' m not going to pass a doe to hope a buck is behind her in the early season. The first week or 2 I should have enough light after work to make it to my normal spots, then I will switch to hunting behind the house as I lose time. After the clocks turn back, I' ll be waiting for vacation to kick in and hunt whichever area is producing.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:59 AM

Default RE: What' syour game plan?

I' m just about in line with you. I want to take the does early. As the season gets close to the rut I then start to shift toward the bucks.
B
Old 09-10-2003, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I pretty much follow suit! I hunt does early. If a shooter walks under me then I won' t hesitate to whack him. Then I wait for that magical week in November when I take vacation to HUNT THE RUT! My most favorite time of the year, for sure![:-]
Old 09-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-10-2003, 07:56 AM

I got lucky this year and am on a crop damage permit. I' ve already taken two does and maybe I' ll take one more before bow season. Once the season starts I' ll be after a buck I' ve been seeing in a bachelor group. They' ve been coming to the same area of this field every night so I' m gonna wait for the right wind and try and take him.

The nice thing about the farm I hunt is that the does are on one side and the bucks on the other. So I can take does with out disturbing the bucks, then hunt the bucks while they' re together, then go back to the does side of town once the pre-rut starts. I think it' s a good plan!!!!!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:47 AM
voz
Fork Horn

Haven' t shot a deer yet with my bow....as the season begins, I planning on shooting any deer w/o spots..that crosses any of my lanes
Old 09-10-2003, 10:54 AM

My plan as usual, is to get into my best bedding areas early in the season (Oct, 1)

Hunt them once, then leave them alone until the rut.

Some Filler time is spent along some thick funnels or odd ball stands.

Old 09-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

wooo.....rack attack not hunting beds....hmm...i bet thats interesting to watch!

my plan is to hunt my tree stand in the morning..then if my dad can get permisson before the 13th i' m gonna still hunt a big county ditch! where i know deer bed at![>:]then i start looking for a nice big fat doe!!!
Old 09-10-2003, 12:53 PM

Get my 12 yr old to wack the first fat momma to cruise by then maybe another in our bonus area then concetrate on a buck for him as well. Guide some incoming hunters then maybe just maybe shoot a couple for my self!!! I too will not hesitate to wack an old doe!! Sometimes they are as much if not more hard to kill than a good buck. Round here they don' t get old by being stupid buck or doe, but as I said the boy is priority one , he' s put in lots of work over the lasy 4-5 yrs preparing and I' m more excited than him I think!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2003, 01:16 PM

Does or buck in the early season, then during the rut I concentrate on buck. Late-late season I will shoot does again, especiallyif I already have a buck in the freezer.