Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting rid of the smell >

Getting rid of the smell

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting rid of the smell

Old 09-07-2003, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Getting rid of the smell

Last night while practicing, I began to notice a peculiar odor (read STENCH) every time I got to full draw. After trying to determine where it was coming from I determined that my release wrist strap was to blame--apparently this summer' s shooting in the heat has taken it' s toll.

I don' t feel comfortable throwing it in the washer, but I' m a scent-free freak and need to rid it of the odor. It' s a tru-ball stinger and the wrist strap is primarily a fleece material.

Any ideas?
Old 09-07-2003, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Getting rid of the smell

Try Scent Free or Scent Killer or any of those type of scent elimanators. You will have to use each time out though. The same thing happens to your leather watch band.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Hand wash it in a bucket of your favorite scent free soap. I do this to mine every year before the season.
Charlie
Old 09-07-2003, 08:49 AM

I' ve been there Dave H. For whatever it' s worth, I would suggest one of two alternatives. Either buy another release and use it specifically for hunting OR wear any extended-cuff glove every time that you shoot. This will definitely help reduce the amount of perspiration transferred to your wrist band. Be safe & best of luck !
Old 09-07-2003, 09:00 AM

If you can detach the wrist stap, try soaking it overnight in a baking soda solution and then scrub it very well the next day. Just be sure to give it a day or so to dry out before using it.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' d just hand wash it in a bucket of Scent free detergent and set it in the sun to dry. Case closed, and you won' t ruin your strap. Good luck.