Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

DO I SMELL?

Old 10-26-2005, 01:22 PM

Default DO I SMELL?

I have only hunted 1 time this year and not been winded, and that night I didnt see any deer. No matter how much I hunt the wind the deer some how always come from down wind of me. Today I was hunting a oak stand, I was making my was down a small trail with big oaks (corns all over the ground) and all kinds of under brush, on the other side are some small pines and alotof openn grass. I figured the deer would be in the oaks so I didnt mind that the wind as blowing my sent into the pines. Well a long story short the only deer I saw were in the pines and grass, and they new I was there long befor I knew they were around.

I drives me nuts, all I hear people say is hunt the wind, blaaaa blaaa blaaa, it dosnt matter if you hunt the wind it all depends on were the deer are going to be and predicting that is impossible, especially in the north woods.

I dont mean to sound like I am complaning, just alittle tired of being such a bad hunter
Old 10-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DO I SMELL?

I figure the deer will be usually bewalking into the wind, so they can smell danger ahead of them. So, when I set up a blind, I set up crosswind. That way I've got at least a50/50 shot at not spooking ALL the deer that might be coming into the area. If you set up with the wind in your face, the deer will be coming up from behind you and you'll get busted every time, long before you even know they're in the area.

When I'm still hunting, I keep the wind in my face and walk directlyinto the wind. If the deer are feeding along, I'll be coming up behind them.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:57 PM

I tend to agree with Arthur P. I prefer to hunt using a cross wind rather than in my face.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:34 PM

Yah that dose make sence to have a cross wind, and I have hunted with one a few times this year. Things just haven been going my way, the deer are always were I dont want them to be. The deer up here are so spooky, between the bears, yots, hunters and wolves they have to stay on their toes all the time. I just wish I could get an easy one to bring my confidence up .

Well I am having a great time hunting from the ground, and dont miss the stand that much. I have never been to much for the stand 2.5 h is my max after that I start to move to much. The stand will always be there when I want to use it.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

Try Vinilla extract. Rub it on your neck put it on your clothes and hat. Try it once and let me know what happens. you wont be disappointed
Old 11-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

deer always seem to travel into the wind were i hunt. corse my grounds are public and hunted not really heavy but often if u know what i mean. deer act different in pressured areas. maybe the deer were u are arn't very pressured and don't play the wind as much. then again u could stink like a garbage pale. lay some urine or estrus around ypur stand to help cover it. if your in oaks use some oak cover spray. works good for me. then again maybe it isn't your sent but your camo or U V brightness. try some of those fancy soaps and rinse it an extra time to make sure all the residue is off. could be a million things why they see you. hopefully these tips will help ya bag a monster buuuddy.

THE FOOT
Old 11-05-2005, 08:04 AM

I've heard it said that when deer, especially bucks, travel they like to do it with the wind in their face.. However, if they can't get the wind in their favor they will use more open terrain and let their eyes do the work for them..... I haven't tested it in my neck of the woods.... I typically hunt with the wind in my face.....
Old 11-05-2005, 07:08 PM

load up on scent killer "essence of the fall" works great
Old 11-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Rich,
I'm curious about the vanilla thing. What kind of effect does is give you. Seems like it would be such a foriegn smell it would send the deer running.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

I agree it SHOULD be a foreign odor, but I've found that vanilla extract is actually apretty decentcover scent. I don't use the imitationstuff & mix minewith tap water (25% extract, 75%water), thenapply it liberally over my clothing w/a pump sprayer.

Quick Reply: DO I SMELL?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.