Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question: Should I or shouldn' t I take him? >

Question: Should I or shouldn' t I take him?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question: Should I or shouldn' t I take him?

Old 09-03-2003, 01:59 PM

Default RE: Question: Should I or shouldn' t I take him?

I finally figured this picture thing out. Here' s a pic of my only buck if any one is interested. This one I' m looking at is not as wide and A LOT taller. I think he' ll lot great on the wall next to this guy. [8D]

Old 09-03-2003, 07:42 PM

I say take him if you get the chance. If there is a lot of pressure around you, then chances are he could get shot, I' d take him.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:50 PM

i hardly pass on any legal deer because if i don' t shoot him some one else will def shot him here in pa.....especially rifle season...so i say take him and hope there is a bigger one next year
Old 09-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

What' s funny is now that you have " decided" to take him he will probably give you the slip.
Two years ago I set up a certain standard for myself. I let some bucks pass that I would have normally shot and wound up shooting nothing. I figured out that year I enjoy bow hunting a lot more when I actually shoot something. So last year I dropped my standard and got no shots at my lowered standard on bucks. I did release 8 arrows though ( 3 pigs a doe a coyote and a couple misses just to keep me humble). Much funner when shooting than sitting there waiting on the near impossible.
In my case the size of the trophy is determined by the carrying capacity of the land.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:02 AM

If you would be proud to shoot the Buck then go fer it. If you do not think you would feel good about shooting him then dont. There is a real good chance you will never see him again if you pass him up this year......good luck on which ever way you decide to go.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

So you' ve only shot one deer with the bow.... and now you may have a chance to shoot the biggest deer you' ve ever seen..... and you want to know if it' s OK. Duhhhhhhh.... It' s up to you. It doesn' t matter what I think. Me..I' m shooting him.

P.S. Odds are in favor of the deer or in favor of you NEVER getting a shot by the way. The biggest deer in the woods doesn' t show himself very often.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:23 AM

davidmil, I have shot 3 deer with my bow, one buck. Thing is I don' t want to shoot a buck if I' m not going to mount him. I have already taken two does this year so I have plenty of meat.

I realize that since he' s the biggest buck it will be hard to take him. Him (and 6 other bucks) have been coming out of the same spot in the woods for a few weeks now so I have him patterned. I never meant to say that I was gonna stroll into the woods on opening day and arrow this guy, I was just asking if I should take him given the chance. As a matter of fact another guy that' s hunting the same farm on the crop damage permit had these bucks walk right under his stand, couldn' t take em cause it' s does only. Gee, wonder why I told him not to hunt that part of the farm!!!!!