Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I shot my buck last night,....shouldn' t have! >

I shot my buck last night,....shouldn' t have!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I shot my buck last night,....shouldn' t have!

Old 10-19-2003, 12:05 PM

Default I shot my buck last night,....shouldn' t have!

Was a prety rough night last night. First missed a turkey with the bow. I misjudged the yardage really bad.[:' (]

Next had to pee really bad because I forgot to at the truck so I did st the tree. This ended up spooking two sets of does that came through.

Then I thought that my luck turned because a nice 8 point came trough and stoped at 10 yards broud side for me. I was at full draw still deciding if I should take him. So I pulled the trigger. I hit him a little forward than I should have. He ran off about 100 yards stoped than took off again with one more crashing sound.

I then sat down on the ladder stand to let the fever take its course when anoter buck came from the same place as the first one. This one was huge! Way outside the ears 10 points about 8-10" tall. I was in the middle of reaching for another(my last) arrow when I cought my self. So I let him go on by without any disruption thinking that one of my brothers could come after him while kicking my self for taking the first one.

Next I enlisted my 2 brothers and wife to help track. Took over 1/2 hour to find the first blood then another hour to find the deer. It was not a real good hit giving us the hard time tracking.

The real kicker was the fact that cyotes had already eaten most of it![:@][:@][:@]

All that work for nothing!!!

It shure is good to see my Cardeer necklace is still working though. Now if the hunter can learn to do his job!
Old 10-19-2003, 03:06 PM
New Sheriff

Default RE: I shot my buck last night,....shouldn' t have!

Why did you pass on the 10 pt??

Regardless, sounds like a heads-up job on the tracking.
Old 10-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like someone needs to to start shooting coyotes on sight, if I read that right they ate 1/2 of your deer in an hour and a half? Good job tracking him down, sounds like you might have lost some concentration with your mind not being decided wether or not to shoot, that might be why your shot was marginal. Glad it worked out!
Old 10-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Stinkin yotes,sorry to here that
Old 10-19-2003, 06:21 PM

I had to pass the 10 point because I just shot one. In Wisconsin you are only allowed one deer per bow season. It was good tracking mostly on my wifes part and my youngest brother. They are the ones that found the blood when the going got tough.

I wouldn' t say that they ate 1/2 the deer but the hind quarters were about 1/3 gone along with the frount quarter(where the arrow entered) and up into the back straps. Very little meat was un touched.

Howler, I think you are right. I think that I should have not even pulled the bow back untill I decided. What a tough way to learn a lesson.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the buck. Sorry to hear it didn' t end up going well.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

What lesson?

You decided on taking the first buck that came in. You should be PROUD that you took that deer with a bow. Then you spent lots of time tracking and finding your buck. Mother nature (yotes) got to it before you. (This has happend to me i know the feeling).

Taking the 2nd buck would have been poaching so you did the right thing and let him pass. Maybe you will see him bigger yet next year if nobody gets him.

Bottom line is if you see a buck and think theres going to be another one bigger coming from behind you will end up 2nd guessing yourself.

Be THANKFUL, that you where able to take a deer and dont feel bad because he wasnt the biggest one in the woodlot...........
Old 10-20-2003, 02:14 PM

Don K

The lesson of not pulling back untill the decition on weather or not to take the deer is made. I pulled back without making up my mind first, witch is more than likely the reason for the killing but less than good shot placement I ended up with. The reason for the statement about the hard way to learn a lesson is due to the fact that if the yotes haddent got too it I probly would not have learned my error. If the shot would have given a good spray of blood I could have cut almost 2 hours off the time that the yotes had.

I am not talking about second guessing my self as to witch deer I shot. And I am proud of the tracking job and thankfull of the help that was given. I guess I am disapointed in my shot placement but happy that Howler helped me with an answer as to a good reason why it could have happened.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

OK, i understand what your getting at now.

Sometimes we learn things the hard way.

Good luck with the rest of your season.