Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 KY... Earlier season >

KY... Earlier season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

KY... Earlier season

Old 08-27-2003, 08:55 AM

Default KY... Earlier season

Are all you KY hunters ready for the earlier season? Only 10 days left. Does anyone feel that Sept.6 is really to early to start hunting? I love the thought of getting into the stand again,but I am worried about the weather. It has been a fairly cool summer but all of a sudden we are getting 90 degree temps. How will this affect my hunting, recovery, and processing of my deer.Also do any of you all practice with your bow my shooting targets from your tree stand.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: KY... Earlier season

Our season in Va. opens in Sept for suburban deer in 4 counties also. Hunting that early in the season will be a learning experience for me also, that is a full month earlier than I have ever hunted before, this is the first year that Va. has opened this early. Their patterns will be totally different as far as feeding goes, they will still be eating more grasses and berries along with any fruit or crops they can, way to early for mast and the rut is no where near, so the bucks will still be doing their bachelor group thing which will be nice![8D] Like you I am concerned about the temps as far as hanging and butchering deer, the hotter is is the quicker you need to get them field dressed and cooled down, and if you don' t have a cooler to hang them in the quicker you need to get them butchered.

Old 08-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

one more thing I forgot to mention is it is a good idea to practice from what ever heighth you hunt from, but you want to make sure you practice from the ground also, you just never know when you may get a ground level shot.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:03 AM

Yeah, I' m ready and eager to get back in the saddle again, however I am also worried about the weather. I don' t really care for hunting in hot or even warm weather. They are saying that it is going to start cooling down a little, and I hope so. I' ve been watching the deer out my back door here in Franklin co, and there has been a lot of movement in the evenings. This morning at about 7:30 there were three deer in the back yard, and one was a 8+ point buck. Good luck, and bring on the cool weather.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:34 PM

you guys worry about warm weather, come on down to Fla. we hunt in HOT,HOT,weather every year.in the 90' s untill in Oct.
when we take a deer,we get it out and skinned and cut A.S.A.P.then Ice it down.our group always keep ice in chest with us in the woods.when I take a deer I gut it immedidiently pour a bag of ice in the cavity to cool it some,then get home.qet it in the cooler.