Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Theory: NJ rut earlier in season due to QDM >

Theory: NJ rut earlier in season due to QDM

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Theory: NJ rut earlier in season due to QDM

Old 10-30-2008, 03:54 PM

Default Theory: NJ rut earlier in season due to QDM

I've been hunting in Central & Southern NJ for a very long time now and many of the indicators that I've used to gauge stages of the rut have come earlier and earlier in the season as our herd is balanced. The normal peak of the rut for NJ is on or about November 15th. In the past, I have killed all of my wall hangers on the 14th or 15th.

All of the indicators point that the rut is going to peak almost a full week early than the 15th. Being that the weather has also been very cooperative, I would not squander any opportunities to be in the woods.

Good luck gents and I hope this gives you somewhat of an edge.

For discussion purposes, do any of ya'll feel the same or disagree?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Theory: NJ rut earlier in season due to QDM

The peat of the rut may well be 7 days prior to November 15th, but it will be due to photoperiodism, not QDM.

QDM can produce a more balanced herd(buck/doe ratio), but it cannot eliminate early breeding and late breeding, which is a major factor in a drawn out rutting period.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Having never hunted NJ (though I'm going to try to do some on the six day shotgun season) I have been talking to my father who has been hunting down there for the better part of the last two weeks. He says the bucks are going absolutely bananas down there! He has seen more bucks, more chasing, more scraps, more rubs, more everything they he has ever seen. He managed to rattle up some small bucks even. I don't have idea idea if QDM has anything to do with it, but in that little corner of NJ they are chasing hard.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Big Country

The peat of the rut may well be 7 days prior to November 15th, but it will be due to photoperiodism, not QDM.

QDM can produce a more balanced herd(buck/doe ratio), but it cannot eliminate early breeding and late breeding, which is a major factor in a drawn out rutting period.
Well I humbly disagree because photoperiodism doesn't change from year to year. The amount of sunlight for each day is an annual constant. For example, the amount of sunlight on Oct 30th 2008 is the same as it was in 2007, 2006, 2005, etc.

So I don't see how that can be a factor.

As we regain a more healthy balance, the deer are attempting to breed earlier because competition is high. We have more older class bucks and less does and that's directly due to QDM practices in the state.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I think triggers a rut is the temperature. Last year in my area the rut was right smack in the middle of the opening of the gun season in NY which was around November 17th or so. This was at least a week or two after the typical peak which is usually around the first week of November. Why was the rut later last year? Because it was a very mild fall. The leaves turned about two weeks after they did this year and other years. Why would the rut be earlier this year? Because it has been a rather cool fall. Many parts of the northeast have gotten a good amount of snow already also. I can assure you that QDM does absolutely nothing to effect the rut. It is nothing but management for bigger antlered deer and little else.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Steve863

What I think triggers a rut is the temperature. Last year in my area the rut was right smack in the middle of the opening of the gun season in NY which was around November 17th or so. This was at least a week or two after the typical peak which is usually around the first week of November. Why was the rut later last year? Because it was a very mild fall. The leaves turned about two weeks after they did this year and other years. Why would the rut be earlier this year? Because it has been a rather cool fall. Many parts of the northeast have gotten a good amount of snow already also. I can assure you that QDM does absolutely nothing to effect the rut. It is nothing but management for bigger antlered deer and little else.

That's too variable and besides, fawns HAVE to be born early in the summer in order to survive the oncoming winter. If they are born late, they will die in the upcoming winter. So in a balanced herd, as a result of QDM, the deer are more likely to breed EARLY in order to maximize their own chances of survival. You guys really need to do some research before making such statements. I suggest Michigan’s Cusino Wildlife Research Station as a starting point. The deer there have been studied for 30+ years and QDM was pioneered there.

So yes, QDM does affect the rut, but for you to accept that, you need to accept that real scientific research has been done in that realm.

If you think that QDM doesn't affect the rut, then why has QDM proven to make the rut in those areas where QDM is practiced shorter and more intense?

Conversely, when the herd is out of balance and we have unseasonably high temps, the rut becomes elongated and most rut activity happens at night when the temps are cooler.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree. The rut is 100% based on photoperiodism. The weather or QDM has zero to do with it. The only reason it appears to be on more in the cold weather is because the deer are moving more during daylight hours. Warmer/windier daystrust me the rut isstill happening. It may be more during nightime hours though where we can't see the signs of it. The amount of sunlight thatenters a deers eyeballs triggers the rut. It's going to happenaround the same time of year whether there is QDM, rain, warmth, cold, snow, sleet, hail, tornado etc...

Old 11-01-2008, 09:20 AM

Then what evidence can you provide that contradicts the accepted research that balanced herds have short intense ruts? Balanced herds are the result of QDM.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA has all the evidence anyone needs to rebut that theory. Our B/D ratio is better than 1:2 and our buck age structure is better than ever. However ,there has been no change in the breeding window and breeding rates and productivity has decreased instead of increasing as predicted.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

PA has all the evidence anyone needs to rebut that theory. Our B/D ratio is better than 1:2 and our buck age structure is better than ever. However ,there has been no change in the breeding window and breeding rates and productivity has decreased instead of increasing as predicted.

Hmmm, The PA Game Commish hasn't said that, in fact, they support my theory:

Dr. Christopher S. Rosenberry, wildlife biometrician, and Bret D. Wallingford, wildlife biologist

The presence of more older bucks can alter breeding activities and characteristics of a deer population

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...;pp=12&n=1

Also, I've read your own theories in the PGC Overhaul thread....needless to say, I think we'll agree to disagree.

Quick Reply: Theory: NJ rut earlier in season due to QDM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.