Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
bow selection ????? >

bow selection ?????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow selection ?????

Old 12-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Spike

Default bow selection ?????

ok new to bowhunting and would like to start with a used bow to get familar with shooting a bow

i would like 2 recomendations from everyone as to a good used bow to get started with

my dl is 26" and would like a 60-70lb bow

thx
joe
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

Why just two? There are lots of nice used bows out there! You should be able to get a nice Mathews or Hoyt that is just a couple of years old for a steal. Mathews switchback, switchback xt, DXT or drenaline are some nice Mathews bows. The Hoyt powertec, katara, ultratec and vipertec are nice bows as well. Check out archerytalk.com if you haven't allready. They have an excellent classifieds section. Welcome to bowhunting!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 AM
Spike

Ok let me start by saying that being your first bow don't break the bank. And look for something atleast 32" ata and with a longer brace height. I would also suggest a single cam. Learning how to shoot you DO NOT want a short brace height dual cam speed monster that's a beast to draw. also I'm not against Mathews and Hoyt they make great bows but I think you can get more bang for your buck with other companies. I shoot a 2009 Martin Bengal M2 pro. Msrp was around 600 I picked it up off eBay new with tags for 320. I haven't found a bow I couldn't hang with. 293 fps and I can shoot dimes with it. Very quiet with no vibration or hand torque. Martin has been around for a long time and make great cost effective bows. I have friend who shoot bowtechs and are extremely happy with them. Parker makes good starter bows aswell. Do your research. Also use the money you saved buying a more cost friendly bow and buy quality accessories. This is as important if not more so than the bow. Stay away from drop sways while learning to shoot and but a good sight. My set up is Martin Bengal 31" draw 65 lbs, beeman 8.3gpi arrows, rage 2 blades, G5 meta peep, copper John 3 pin sight, whisker biscuit, sims s-coil, limb savers, d-loop and tru-ball release. Love it and won't buy a new bow until it breaks.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Fork Horn

All I will say is don't buy any bow unless you can shoot it several times and pay no attention to the brand name.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by joesnextoy View Post
ok new to bowhunting and would like to start with a used bow to get familar with shooting a bow

i would like 2 recomendations from everyone as to a good used bow to get started with

my dl is 26" and would like a 60-70lb bow

thx
joe
The new 2012 pse stinger [ re-designed ] 299.00 the brute-x 399.00 get them in camo,camo and black,europeon skull design these are new bows. Huntersfriend has reviews on both of them, gonna look at the brute x myself the bowtech is going on 8 yrs now, time for a new rigg.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by scribe View Post
All I will say is don't buy any bow unless you can shoot it several times and pay no attention to the brand name.
i would love to do that but none of my family or friends hunt so im doing this alone (which sux) guess ill be learning the hard way ( from my mistakes) lol

thanks for the input guys

and yes $ is an issue with 4 kids to feed
Old 12-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

so many variables,
i would recommend going to a range/shop that lets you try their bows ,
i know a range in queens i can recommend, they generally have decent selection of used bows on display for various prices from $150- to over $500,
also why 60#-70# bow?
i have a #60-#70 bow set at 60#, and if i had to do it over again would probably choose a #50-#60 bow.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

As others have said, goto a bowshop that takes trade ins.They will have a whole bunch of different bows and they will let you try them out in thier shooting range.Dont worry about brand names, find one that fits you and you shoot well in your price range.

As someone else mentioned you may want to consider a lighter draw weight as well escpeially if you plan to hunt with it.Theres a world of difference between being able to draw a bow standing on the ground at the range and trying to draw the same bow after youve been sitting motionless in the cold with several layers of clothes on and you have to do it from a sitting position.I dont know you so I have no idea what your physical abilities are but I know I can shoot mine all day at 60 lbs standing up, but the first time I used it in the late season last year I had a helluva time getting it drawn back after a couple hours in near 0 weather sitting in a foodplot.I set it back to about 55 this year before i started.