Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Scent Controll Question >

Scent Controll Question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Controll Question

Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scent Controll Question

I have been thinking about putting a open box of baking soda in the containers which I keep my clothes and equipment such as my pack and stuff. My wife keeps a box in our frig and stuff she advised that it reduce odor. I have been putting ground carbon in patty hose in the boxes. I spoke with a tec from the company that make the carbon and she advised that you would think it would work however, the carbon must be filter for it to really work. Does anyone place a box of baking soda with there stuff or have tried this before ? Merry Christmas to everyone.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Nope.

I store my clothes in bags (most of the time). But, I'm not fanatical about it.

I hunt the wind 100% of the time. It's the best scent control you can practice.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RJPOUTDOORS
I have been thinking about putting a open box of baking soda in the containers which I keep my clothes and equipment such as my pack and stuff. My wife keeps a box in our frig and stuff she advised that it reduce odor. I have been putting ground carbon in patty hose in the boxes. I spoke with a tec from the company that make the carbon and she advised that you would think it would work however, the carbon must be filter for it to really work. Does anyone place a box of baking soda with there stuff or have tried this before ? Merry Christmas to everyone.
i use put a light coating of baking soda on my hunting clothes before storing them in a couple garbage bags. It pretty much impossible to get the scent off your clothes but i'm sure you can get rid of the ones obvious to you, not the deer. they'll smell anything. Play the wind like GMMAT said
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

It works and cheaply. Also helps keep things dry. The more you do the better it gets and this costs nothing and requires no effort, a no brainer.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

I use baking soda to wash my clothes in . Baking soda gets rid of lots of odors ,but when ever you can hunt the wind!!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Agreed....

Originally Posted by fishinty
I use baking soda to wash my clothes in . Baking soda gets rid of lots of odors ,but when ever you can hunt the wind!!
I too wash my clothing (every piece) in baking soda, nothing else. I have a washer that has never seen detergent, I then hang dry my clothes in a screened in porch on the barn, or at camp in the screened in gazeebo. They never see the inside of the house. When I travel, I pack them in a vacuum bag, in which I add either pine boughs or acorns depending on the stand I'll be using. When I get to camp, I unpack them immediately and hang them "outside", and of course "play the wind" and pray.

Last edited by tight360; 12-27-2011 at 08:47 PM.