Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ever Feel Like Crying #2 >

Ever Feel Like Crying #2

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever Feel Like Crying #2

Old 12-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Whitetailaddict13
i wouldnt take that shot. i was under the impression that it was a broadside neck shot. and your comment inside the perenthesis (if i was of the mind)....what the f*** does that mean?
easy to figure out...he meant if you ...personally..thought it was a good shot to take, where else would you aim?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Whitetailaddict13
man thats too large of a concept for me to understand... your intelligence is on another level, dont know what id do without yuh bub thanks for clearing it up!!
No problem little one, glad I could help ya out bub.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
easy to figure out...he meant if you ...personally..thought it was a good shot to take, where else would you aim?

i got what he meant... it was just worded funny and i used it as an opportunity for some ribbing.. i appreciated you guys breakin it down for me though. what a help.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Saw a few bucks on my walk today but not the big one that got away. I feel like I was reading a best seller and someone ripped that last ten pages from the book. Talk to a bud and he has a friend in s. Ohio and he got 2 over 180 this year and saw several bigger amazing. I got to get down there at least once.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by niehenke
GMAT and petasux, I really hope that you don't spend a lot of time blasting others on these sites and you exert more energy into sharing your lessons learned. As an archer, many are against and few are for, so I hope that we can take this time/energy to improve our community and educate those against. Good luck with your remaining season.
That was a lesson weather you know it or not.Theres guys in here that are just getting into bowhunting.Theres people in here that are just getting into hunting in general.They may or may not be familiar with where and when to shoot a deer.So what happens when they read you posting about taking head on shots at deer with archery gear?

If you want to educate and improve the sport promoting taking shots with a 50/50 chance of recovering your deer cuz you felt like it was a good idea may not be the best way to go about that.Losing deer is a fact of life, its going to happen, losing deer because you couldnt wait for a good shot is easily avoidable.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by petasux
That was a lesson weather you know it or not.Theres guys in here that are just getting into bowhunting.Theres people in here that are just getting into hunting in general.They may or may not be familiar with where and when to shoot a deer.So what happens when they read you posting about taking head on shots at deer with archery gear?

If you want to educate and improve the sport promoting taking shots with a 50/50 chance of recovering your deer cuz you felt like it was a good idea may not be the best way to go about that.Losing deer is a fact of life, its going to happen, losing deer because you couldnt wait for a good shot is easily avoidable.
I have yet to see GMAT give bad advise (sarcastic maybe). but point is from OP that it was a self-admitted bad shot! And then followed up by giving up(IMO) and going out to take another risky shot! Call it what it is people! If there are people looking for advise here, then dont criticize the person giving it!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have and would again drive another arrow down the neck of a close range deer facing me while I'm in a tree. There's no place for it to go except into the boiler room. If I'm not decided, I'll let it walk. But, no way will I pass up that shot if I intend to harvest the animal.

I had a buddy perform the same shot on a doe two weekends ago with a slug. She folded. No need to tell me the difference between a slug and a broadhead. I firmly believe broadheads kill more efficiently when placed in the vitals. Shock vs. cutting.

I'm not advocating neck shots. I prefer broadside, double lung as much as anyone. But, when they are 10 yds and facing at me while at full draw, I'm sending one home. Over ten, I'm not taking the shot.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think anyone on here should make blanket statements like the one that a shot down the neck is a bad shot. Not necessarily.

Never say "never" and never say "always".

To the OP - sorry for your bad luck. Congrats at holding your composure and not firing back at some of these guys telling you made a bad decision on deer #2. I do agree that going back to hunting on day #2 with a wounded 180" deer somewhere appears kinda unclassy. But, maybe you gave it your all. IDK.

I'm done.

Last edited by rogerstv; 01-11-2012 at 04:37 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I do agree that going back to hunting on day #2 with a wounded 180" deer somewhere appears kinda unclassy.
Well, I didn't go there. But.....I agree.

The part of the situation that concerned me is the fact he JUST lost one deer.....and then thinks taking a 22yd neck shot on one the next day is a good decision.

To the OP...I was never trying to grill you. But, I'm curious what type responses you expected when you posted the two scenarios you did?????
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

11-12-2011, 12:32 AM #1 niehenke
Fork Horn

Top Shot and Lessons Learned

All, just sharing my 2 cents this season. I am hearing a LOT of stories of poor shots. For those making mistakes continuously, read, practice, and dedicate to improve; these animals deserve it. I have placed several poor shots but I have been very fortunate to recover everything except a turkey 2 years ago. This is not luck, this is dedication to the animal. I stopped hunting after I hit that bird and searched the entire hunt for this bird. Here is what I am hearing this year, I shot it perfect straight down through. IMO this is a terrible shot because you pull fat and intestines through the bottom clogging the exit hole resulting in 0 blood. I have heard this story too many times. You don't need to be 30 feet in the tree. 23 is where I am comfortable. Second thing, know where you hit the deer. This provides you with a timetable for getting out of your stand. Lastly, spread the knowledge and improve our sport. Good luck.
67#/315 fps

Didn't learn much in 12 days is what I see.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Spike

Can't stay up any longer to wait for the pictures. Gotta work tomorrow. Wishing you the best of luck Niehenke.