Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ever Feel Like Crying #2 >

Ever Feel Like Crying #2

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever Feel Like Crying #2

Old 11-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

good luck finding him.nice deer
Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Anyway, I let the search go for a few hours on Sunday morning and took an 8 pt at 22 yds. He was facing me but I was fairly confident on what I could do with the arrow. It hit high in the neck and ended with the heart.
Are u kidding me???? You make a bad shot on the 1st deer, come back here and make the statement above and hit another good buck in the neck. People like you should not be starting threads like this. 1st you hit a great buck badly then forgo the search so you can go shoot another one (badly again) after professing your marksmanship with a bow then come here on a very large message board to write about it. You need to study the antimony of a deer (frontal shots are very bad) and then hit the range more so than the deer woods.

Last edited by Rickmur; 12-01-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

To the OP...

If I were a betting man...I'd bet on you posting (or living) a lot more threads about "feeling like crying", if you don't change up your shot selection(s).

Sometimes a deer can be in bow range, and there isn't a shot. No, really.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know I just read through both your stories here and first I want to say as far as the first one goes it happens, everyone makes a bad shot or fails to recover a deer at some point.

I had confidence BUT I was shaking out of my skin when I saw how big he was

He did not wind me but I could not be patient anymore.

His head was at a tree so I may have steered back further than I wanted but I do not know where I hit him
Ok, your excited, the shot seems to be there and things happen fast sometimes, again, I understand this far how it could happen, hell it happened to me earlier this week on a doe I shot.The arrow was in the ribs but further back then planned. I left her lay for 12 hours, and went back.The blood trail stopped after 70 yrds, and she got into 1800 acres of thick cattails.I looked for 5 hours but couldnt find her.But you go on to say....

Here are the things that I learned:
1. At 40yds and 309fps, the deer has 0.4 seconds to react. Which could be enough to drop a few inches. Anything over 25 yds, I will not be alerting the deer.
2. Patience, patience, patience no matter how big. More than likely he would have circled me for a perfect shot. Way too excited and impatient.
3. Respect for the animal.
And after that and the fact you choked on a buck the day before you continue with.

He was facing me but I was fairly confident on what I could do with the arrow. It hit high in the neck and ended with the heart. He ran 60 yards
Apparently you learned absolutely nothing from losing the big one.If you had learned a whitetails reaction time and understood the margin of error on a frontal shot you would not have taken it.You obviously didnt learn patience as you could have waited for a different shot angle or passed the shot alltogether but you didnt.And you certainly dont show respect for the animal by taking a low percentage shot where 9 times out 10 you wont recover the animal.The front of a whitetails a lot more solid than the side of a whitetail, you got muscle, bones, and fat stacked on top of each other.And you have the whole length of the deer to blow through or else you wind up with a single entrance hole, up high, that doesnt bleed much.Had you missed the heart which is a definite possibility with this shot you wind up with what?Maybe a single lung hit?Or you hit something solid and get lousy penetration.

I think you may need to work a little harder on the patience area of your hunt, or else your "confidence" is going to result in a lot more wounded deer in your future.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
Prolly found a 120 inch 10 point instead of his typical 12 in the 180 class

What is for sure is that I cannot prove that it was a 180 class deer so there isn't a debate from my end. HOWEVER, I am in the process of setting up cameras so if I get a photo of that deer (if he is alive), I will let others including yourself be the judge. Until then, I will provide proof of the one that did not get away (see previous pic within thread). Also, I will continue to share my misfortunes if hopes that others can grow with me to be the best acher that I can be. Isn't that what we are doing here? Best of luck.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by petasux
You know I just read through both your stories here and first I want to say as far as the first one goes it happens, everyone makes a bad shot or fails to recover a deer at some point.

Ok, your excited, the shot seems to be there and things happen fast sometimes, again, I understand this far how it could happen, hell it happened to me earlier this week on a doe I shot.The arrow was in the ribs but further back then planned. I left her lay for 12 hours, and went back.The blood trail stopped after 70 yrds, and she got into 1800 acres of thick cattails.I looked for 5 hours but couldnt find her.But you go on to say....

And after that and the fact you choked on a buck the day before you continue with.

Apparently you learned absolutely nothing from losing the big one.If you had learned a whitetails reaction time and understood the margin of error on a frontal shot you would not have taken it.You obviously didnt learn patience as you could have waited for a different shot angle or passed the shot alltogether but you didnt.And you certainly dont show respect for the animal by taking a low percentage shot where 9 times out 10 you wont recover the animal.The front of a whitetails a lot more solid than the side of a whitetail, you got muscle, bones, and fat stacked on top of each other.And you have the whole length of the deer to blow through or else you wind up with a single entrance hole, up high, that doesnt bleed much.Had you missed the heart which is a definite possibility with this shot you wind up with what?Maybe a single lung hit?Or you hit something solid and get lousy penetration.

I think you may need to work a little harder on the patience area of your hunt, or else your "confidence" is going to result in a lot more wounded deer in your future.
You made several good points in that patience is important and shot selection is critical; however, I will provide additional details. The first deer gave me time to calm for the moment of the shot, granted this duration was not but a few seconds. If I was not holding on mark, I would not have taken the shot. Also, I am NOT promoting taking a front shot by any means because sending this out there would not benefit the community; however, I would take the shot again. I won't bother explaining why I felt confident with the shot or state my success and skills because you would then start to blast off again, instead, I will agree with you, yes front shots are high risk and much should be considered (angle, where the broad ends up, kinetic energy, broadhead, etc.).
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

dude.............

DO NOT PRESS THE DEER.

IF NOBODY IS IN THE AREA YOU HUNT.......LET HIM LAY.

I JUMPED THE BIGGEST BUCK I EVER SHOT ( 3 TIMES WITH MY .308)

AND HE RAN TO A POND CROSSED THROUGH, AND TH HOLES FROZE SHUT.

NO MORE BLOOD TRAIL AND HE WAS GONE !

HEARTBREAKING. MY MEMORY OF THIS 7-8 YEAR OLD 13
Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckyou
dude.............

Do not press the deer.

If nobody is in the area you hunt.......let him lay.

I jumped the biggest buck i ever shot ( 3 times with my .308)

and he ran to a pond crossed through, and th holes froze shut.

No more blood trail and he was gone !

Heartbreaking. My memory of this 7-8 year old 13
jesus h christ.....go to the effin range...quit usin the deer fer practice.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rickmur
Are u kidding me???? You make a bad shot on the 1st deer, come back here and make the statement above and hit another good buck in the neck. People like you should not be starting threads like this. 1st you hit a great buck badly then forgo the search so you can go shoot another one (badly again) after professing your marksmanship with a bow then come here on a very large message board to write about it. You need to study the antimony of a deer (frontal shots are very bad) and then hit the range more so than the deer woods.
antimony? i think you mean anatomy..... i understand your point but just cause he hit the deer in the neck doesnt mean he aimed there. i see seasoned veteran pros like stan potts and rick white take plenty of absolutely terrible shots on deer. on camera!! to the original poster... too bad bout losing your big one!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Dominant Buck

but just cause he hit the deer in the neck doesnt mean he aimed there.
If a deer's facing you - head-on....where else would you aim (IF you were of the mind this was a 'good shot opportunity)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.