Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any advice on a new bow?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Spike

Default Any advice on a new bow?

I'm looking for a great starter bow. I hunted with a bow when I was a kid and now, at 41, I'm trying to get back into the sport. My budget is around $320 for a new bow with a hunt ready package (if possible).

I'm looking at:
PSE Stinger (no package)
Bow tech Diamond Razor or Kronic
Bear Game Over or Done Deal
Martin Threshold

60-70# right handed

I'm so confused!!! Any advice?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

I replied last night, but I must have hit the wrong button at 2am. First welcome to the site. It is a very good place and good folks to chat with.

Your bow options and budget amount really limit where you can start, but it isn't impossible.
Of the bows listed I have experience with the Razor's Edge. It is a very nice shooting bow for the price. I actually bought my daughter one and my neighbor has the same bow. They both shoot great. The only issue is my daughters sights "fell off" the bow after a year and a half. I was upgrading hers anyway so that would be my first replacement on the bow.

I have a buddy here on this site Steve, gun870guy. He has an archery shop and might be able to get you a bow package with a tuned used bow around your starting price. Fire him a PM and tell him I sent you.

The last idea and maybe the best is craigslist. You can find some great deals there for a much better used bow than the new ones you have listed. I would also look here on our sale swap area and then there are other "site" that have sale and swap areas. Guys are always upgrading and swapping the used bow and you can again get a good deal. I bought a used Pearson Z34 ready to shoot from a guy for $210 this summer. Just have to look for the deals. Being that you live in PA there are a bunch of hunters there and craigslist might be a deal.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:35 AM
Spike

I responded to your response on my other post. I've spent a lot of time researching bows on this site so I figured when I got stuck you all could help me. Which you are. I have been out of hunting for over 20 years and I'm now getting back into it. We didn't have the Internet when I first started. It brings a whole new meaning to "The Brotherhood of Hunting". Thanks again
Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

check out the bear charge. i think its 300 with no attachments. 400 for the package. adjustable draw weight 50-70 so you can work your way up. personally i think its a perfect starter bow. fast and smooth. bear has upped there game the past few years. the stinger is also a great bow.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Spike

I'll 2nd the bear archery. It's a little above what you have for a price range, but I recently bought a bear archery strike and I love it. It's a model up from the charge as it's $500 all set up, but I love it, they have a couple models that are cheaper and are worth checking out.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Mission X-3 a few years ago for just over 300. Not sure what their entry level bows go for now. They are good bows though.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Spike

Go to a pro shop, an archery or bowhunting club or, some of your own friends that bowhuntin your area.

All the bows, that you mentioned, will probably do the job you want your bow to do. The main factor is how the individual bow feels to you and how well it fits you. Different grips, balance points (with and without accessories), string angle/finger pinch (if you're going to shoot fingers), and so many other personal preferences are involved in getting the bow that's right for you.

All the research you do and all the information you get from forums, like this one, might help you narrow the search but, as you have probably noted, there are as many different opinions as there are bows out there (if that weren't the case we'd all still be shooting Bear/Jennings or PSE bows). You won't really know till you get the bow in your hands and, when you find the right one for you, you'll know it.

I don't know how many times I've heard, "Man, I wish I had shot one of these before I bought my bow." So, try them all, if you can, and get the one that feels best to you
Old 11-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Spike

A lot of people (not me), sell their brand new bow every year to upgrade. I think it's a status thing, anyway, there are some great deals on good bows on Ebay, and other sites like this. Search "bowhunting" on your computer and be amazed at the amount of sites available. Try not to be too influenced by the most popular brands, it seems the more they advertise, the more they're trying to sell you something you don't want for more money than you need to spend to cover the cost of the advertising. That's my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Go to as many shops and shoot as many bows as you can. Everybody likes different ones, shoot what you like.

Last edited by Hooter56; 11-02-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mathews......
Old 11-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Spike

Bought a Diamond Razor for my teenager and wish that I had that thing for my first bow.

Wide range of adjustments and a sweet shooting and quiet bow - well worth the $$.