Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
what do you do? landowner question >

what do you do? landowner question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you do? landowner question

Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default what do you do? landowner question

You work hard to find and buy a piece of ground on your own. In the process you do everything, build a pond, plant trees, implement a deer management and sanctuary program, existing stand timber management, hang tree stands, plant food plots, mow, weed-eat, etc, general upkeep of the property. For those of you that have or lease land, and even those of you that take care of the ground you hunt, you know what I'm getting at.

2 years in a row, someone you know closely calls you the day before deer season opens and asks you about bow-hunting opening day, which opens tomorrow morning. The last time you heard from this person was the end of last deer season, besides casual meetings/community get-togethers. There has been no offer to help with any work throughout the year on the land, no offer to buy a $20 bag of food plot seed or mineral blocks, etc.

What do you say to this person?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

tell him thanks for asking, but no,
your still working the land, deer have been pushed out because of the work, trying limit the pressure until they return.
tell him if he wants to hunt next season you can probably use some help during the summer if he's interested.

we all know the rules of etiquette for permission,
ask in advance, offer to help, dress appropriate. blah blah blah
99% of the time that doesnt happen, they come last minute asking for permission, if they ask at all.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
tell him thanks for asking, but no,
your still working the land, deer have been pushed out because of the work, trying limit the pressure until they return.
tell him if he wants to hunt next season you can probably use some help during the summer if he's interested.

we all know the rules of etiquette for permission,
ask in advance, offer to help, dress appropriate. blah blah blah
99% of the time that doesnt happen, they come last minute asking for permission, if they ask at all.
That sounds about right! If you take some nice deer(yourself) off of the property that YOU'VE manicured, you will be rewarded for all your hard work! Keep it up and good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would tell him in the kindest way possible, that you want to lower the hunting pressure on your property for a time (which isn't a stretch due to you're current process of implementing a management program). The best way to do this is limiting the amount of access to your properties. Now if he's willing to help in the spring time (he must in order to gain access next year) find things that need to be done, make a note and when the spring time rolls around, ask him if he is interested in hunting the property that fall. If so, break out the list and tell him what needs to be done and if he shows up to help; great! He can hunt in the fall. If not; no work, no play!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

what they said^. I agree 100%
Old 09-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

I would say sure, I'm too nice maybe, but i would still tell him that if he wants to hunt this year, he has to pay for the expenses next year. I.E. seed etc.

Explain that you paid and worked all this year for this season, so he should have to work/pay if he want's to hunt too.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just say no, not right now, call back later and keep telling them that until your open to it.

What kind of "close" person would ask? Not one that's close at all.

If we were close I'd know what you've put into it and wait for an invite which I may or may not accept. If I thought the relationship would suffer one way or the other I'd do what affected it the least. That's what it means to be close to someone, they matter most.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like my "friends" and brother.

Just say no. And add i have too much time, effort, money into it right now..

They don' t understand taxes either?

12 years i have my land......i got about 4 hrs work out of anyone.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Just say no. I dont figure you owe anybody any explanation. If you feel bad tell him he can hunt after you take a deer.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Nope sorry..

I'll let you know when you can hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.