Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
what do you do? landowner question >

what do you do? landowner question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do you do? landowner question

Old 10-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Long time ago.....I'd have said "no".

Now, I'd tell him to come on.

It's just not that big of a deal anymore. I don't expect my guests to cook their own dinner when I invite them over.....or, mow my lawn to enjoy a game of horseshoes.

It's just a deer.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess it would depend on a couple things - how much ground is available and do I have a history of hunting with this person. If we're talking about a large enough area and I've been out hunting with this person in the past, he'll probably be welcome.

But next year, he better show up to help out.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

If it's food or a need ..I wouldn't turn anyone down...a deer hunt is not a need ..it's a luxury...I'd kindly tell him no..UNLESS he wants to contibute to the cost ...

Back in 2005 I ask a member on here if I could hunt..he said yes..I shot a nice deer and left a nice tip..He has given me permanent permission..{ -; but it's a 17 hour drive.

AFTER reading the other post ..one thing that can make a difference...and that is.if you got plently of game..no big deal..I hunt a highly pressured WMA ..Leases in my area are 3000.00 I see maybe 2 bucks a year..so you can see why I wrote what I wrote..deer are scarce in my neck of the woods..

Last edited by Chuck7; 10-01-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Spike

I hunt of a friends property that does everything you are doing. He allows 3 of us to hunt the property with him. He makes it clear that the work on the property doesnt get done by itself. Dont want to help out then dont hunt. He doesnt make a big deal out of it he just doesnt want to do it all himself its allot of work. knowing all the work that kind of management takes i would feel like a fool asking to hunt without giving a hand.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I would tell him he can hunt there next year if he helps out pre-season.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

i am very strict with if u dont help sow the work time and money u dont get to reap the rewards. My bestfriend called me two days before archery opener and asked if he could hunt my property which he did nothing to help with he told me he didnt know what to do he didnt know where to go. I told him im sorry man there are only two people hunting my property this year myself and my father. we put so much work into stands and food plots and there are massive bucks on the property and my friend knows this. i could tell how pissed he was getting cuz he figured id let him. well none the less i called him the night after the opener only to hear that he didnt even go out in the morning and in the evening he went to one of our old spots with his new girlfriend and sat on the ground which probably ruined the spot. o well people have to learn if u cant buy or lease ur own property u can always help someone else out and they will probably let u hunt there.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 PM
j76
Typical Buck

The fact that you do all of this work and eaven consider letting this guy hunt makes me you want to be your freind!! I'm not fortunate enough to own land, but am fortunate enough to be able to hunt some really good private land. To me, the fact they let me hunt it is HUGE!!! Those that own the land, no matter what time of yr it is, they call me for anything i'm droppin whatever i'm doin an goin to help them out, and thats the way it should be as far as i'm conscerned. The guy that owns the one farm i hunt put a butcher shop in over the winter, i gave many hours of labor and footed the bill for over a 1000 bucks worth of plumbing and heating materials to the thing without eaven thinkin about it. To me, to invite someone on your property to hunt is one of the biggest favors someone can do for you, and anyone that doesn't appriciate that to the fullest, doesn't deserve the right to be there.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

seriously everything those guys above said with a kudos fer sure
Old 10-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Spike

I would either give him a list of jobs to be complete before he hunts or charge a fee for fuel, seed, and stands you have put into the place. I've had no money and plenty of time to help before, and little time to help now but can help with cost.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:17 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Haha! Glad to hear I'm not the only one going through this! I've been a land owner for a long time and everyone seems to find your number when season starts. I used to let them hunt but have stopped in the past couple years. Everyones got a good bud they like to hunt with, and with that being said that person usually wants and offers to help you without being asked! Funny how some people cant break loose to help all summer but somehow have all the time in the world when season starts. We work hard to have a place to hunt and should be able to enjoy that with who we want, not just who wants to! Good luck this year and GOD bless!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.