Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hang on stands

Old 09-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Spike

Default Hang on stands

Hey guys I usually hunt out of ladder stands but I want to change it up and start hunting out of hang ons. I see a lot of people talk about how nice Lone Wolf stands are, my question is are they worth the money? I do like the idea of their hook you put on the tree first and then put the stand on seems like a good idea especially because it would be one of my first times using hang ons. Also do you guys suggest pegs or ladder sticks to climb up.

If you have any tips or techniques to make hanging stands easier it would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

I have been using big game hang ons from menards, they had them on sale for 50 bucks so i bought a couple. I just use 2 ratchet straps to tie them down with and do not find it too difficult to do. I have used pegs and climbing sticks and if you can afford it i would definetaly go with the sticks. I still like my ladder stands but with hang ons i have the ability to set different heights for different scenarios.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

The millenium stands are crazy comfortable, but expesive. It doesnt get any easier than hanging a millenium lock on with 20' sticks. In and out in in 10 min (thats by yourself).
Old 09-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Big-Game Boss XL hang-ons, i've got 7 of them now. I'm tall (6'10") so I like the XL for the added platform length, increasing the leg room. I personally can't understand the $249 price tag on the Alpha II hang-on, let alone the $229 for the Assault, which has a platform the size of the bottom of a coffee can. I've sat in the Alpha II, and it doesn't do anything my Big Game doesn't do, and I can get 4 of them for the price of 1 LW.

For your first hang on, I would suggest a ladder, such as the Big Game Quick Stick, or any similar ladder stick. I prefer the full ladder stick versus the 2' sections just because you've always got something to hang on to with the full stick. I just bought a 20' stick at Dick's for $40, and it is double rung steps all the way up, very nice stick, and i'm 99% it's made by Big Game, even though it's an "off-brand."
Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

I suggest wearing a safety harness while hanging the stand, especially if you're not used to hanging a clamp on.

Also, it's nice to have a bungee strap to slap on the stand, around the tree. It helps hold the stand and allows you to position the stand on the tree without having to hold the stand, the tree, and apply the strap, all at once. I found it to be much easier and safer.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Stealth said, absolutely inveest in a Lineman's Belt for hanging stands. It will allow you to use both hands freely, making life much much easier when you're up in the air. I screw in a hook where I want the stand to be, and then hang my stand on that when I raise it, allowing for much easier connection of the strap. Also, I have all of my hooks connect on the same side, so I know when I'm up in the tree which way i'm going to be going around the three to connect the strap.

One thing I started doing this year which has made life a little easier is tying the platform and the seat together until I have the stand attached to the tree and the strap tightened sufficiently. I just use a piece of twine/rope and tie it in a bow, like you would for your shoes, and when I have the stand place, just untie the bow and the platform folds down, tightening the stand right up. Not having the platform flopping around is very nice, nor having to hold it up to tighten the strap.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Spike

A lot of the "cheaper" (or is that less expensive) stands are good quality but, they seem to be considerably heavier. Ther are a lot of good stands with larger platforms out there for under $100.00. The last two I bought, this year, were from Sportsmans Guide (best customer service I've dealt with) and had adjusters for horizontal and verticle level. They were $50.00 each.

I started using my tree belt for hanging my stand as well as attaching the tether for my belt or harness. I put a caribiner with a small pulley on it. Climb to where you want the stand to hang, with steps or ladder and fasten the belt to the tree, (I use a climbing belt for going up and down) then run a 1/4" rope through the pully. Climb down and hook the stand to the rope, pull it up and, tie it off. When you climb back up, the rope will support the stand while you fasten it to the tree. Don't forget to go a couple of steps higher that the platform so you can step down onto the stand, after you attach your harness or belt to the tree strap.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Gorilla, that I bought from Cabela's on sale.
It came with a safety harness, including the lineman's belt.

As to the sticks versus the screw in steps. I use the sticks (2' sections), and around here the screw in steps are not allowed on PUBLIC land.
So, if your going to be hunting PUBLIC land, that may be a consideration to explore, whether they (screw in steps) are legal to use. However I would use whatever you want to if your hunting PRIVATE land.