Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NAP Spitfire

Old 07-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NAP Spitfire

Was thinking of trying a mechanical head out this year. My local dealer is really fond of the NAP Spitfires. I have over 70 #'s of KE so that is not a concern. Any actual experiences with Spitfires and whitetail deer would definately be helpful.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:20 PM

Default RE: NAP Spitfire

Yeah, I know you said actual experience. Well, I just don't have any, but I'm going to comment anyway. So there. LOL.......Very good heads. Many here have used them w/ success. I just wonder why you want to use mechanical. It's not to put a bandaid on an improperly tuned bow I hope.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

I've shot one deer with them(the only deer i've shot with a broadhead) and it went straight through. It does so much damage its amazing. The deer only went about 20 yards and dropped dead. I might not recomend them on a hog but they are excellent for deer.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

original:mobowhuntr,
Yeah, I know you said actual experience. Well, I just don't have any, but I'm going to comment anyway. So there. LOL.......Very good heads. Many here have used them w/ success. I just wonder why you want to use mechanical. It's not to put a bandaid on an improperly tuned bow I hope.
I don't know why I want to try them. I used Slick Tricks last year and was very pleased with them. The Slick Tricks fly well and actuallyThunderheads fly pretty darn close to the field points and the Tricks. My biggest fear though is someting on that mechanical head not functioning properly andcosting me a deer. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:59 PM

Stay with the Slick Tricks. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

they did ok in my broadhead tests, not great not bad. That said last year I shot two fox and one whitetail buck and all resulted in fully open heads, and short tracking jobs. The deer shot was not a passthrough as I hit the offside shoulder on a steep angle, but the buck only made it 50 yards before falling over dead. With your Ke levels and for deer size game, if you like the design I see no reason not to use them.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot over 30 big game animals with them mostly deer. I have yet to lose an animal with them. Dont get me wrong I know it will probably happen sooner or later. Its just the way hunting is. I had some marginal hits but always managed to find them. I really like them.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love them, wouldnt use anything else for deer. Last year i shot 3 deer with them, 2 bucks and a doe. All three died within sight, the farthest being 40 or so yards from the tree, that was a doe on a death run. The two bucks went about 20 yards and 30 yards. All three were complete passthroughs and left a blood trail that a blind man could follow. Its nice not having to follow it though when you see the deer go down. I highly recommend them.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

I have used the 100 gr. ones for the last 2 years shot 2 deer and 3 foxes all pass throughs. Both deer went a max of 50 yards before falling down and blead like a stuck hog (both doulble lunged) .Foxes went a little further but no more than 75 yards. Found all broadheads wide open stuck in the ground and in the deer the lungs had that perfect 3 piece slice right through them.

Great product.

That being said I am going to see how my bow shoots the 3 blade fixed muzzy this year and if I practice good with them i might try hunting with them. but I will still have a spitfire in my quiver just because I am confident in them.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used NAP XP Pro Series Spitfires last year and they were amazing. I shot my first doe at 10-12 yards from the ground. The WHAP sound at impact was absolutely brutal sounding, she scurried about 25 yards and got into a standing corn field. She was piled up within 50-60 yards (hard to tell as it was dark when I tracked her and she was in standing corn).

I also shot another doe with them last season this time quartering hard towards me at 32 yards. Again, had a complete pass thru, this doe only went 35 yards or so and did the death flop.

Here is an example of what the blood trail looked like on the first doe I shot with the XP Spitfires.

Like someone said earlier in the post, a blind man could follow the blood trail. At the spot of impact there was blood sprayed 3ft on either side of where she was standing, I've never gotten that kind of a blood trail shooting fixed broadheads.

Quick Reply: NAP Spitfire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.