Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Southern deer jump the string more????? >

Southern deer jump the string more?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Southern deer jump the string more?????

Old 08-08-2003, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Southern deer jump the string more?????

no wonder those southern deer jump the string .. i have seen in person and on tv what some of them southern folk look like ,espesially the ones that play the banjo, i am 277 lb and i think i could out run a northern deer if i seen one of those fellas plukiing the string of a banjo let alone a bow
Old 08-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wellll bgunner thats mighty nice of ya . We southerners like complements , specialy from nice plump soft northern folk such as yourself , now squeal boy squeal like a pig .[]
Old 08-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

now squeal boy squeal like a pig .
And you wonder why your deer are so jumpy!
Old 08-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gives a hole new meaning to " pretty deer" dont it
Old 08-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Benhuntin, I would imagine this is true. I honestly think the deer in the south are more spooky than the northern deer. more hunters in the woods etc. I beleive the same with southern turkeys. I' ve heard too many stories from northern hunters on how easy a turkey is to take with a bow, and how they won' t even pay any attention to a blind, even in the wide open. it' s not like that down here in south Ar.
their more spooky simply because their hunted harder.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:31 AM

Pork Chop hit the nail on the head. Those south Texas deer are sooooo much smaller and wiry than the big hawgs in Canada. It is a simple matter of size. Take a feather weight fighter and a heavy weight fighter and see who is quicker and faster. A big mature doe in Canada weighs more than a mature buck in Fla or south Texas.
Like I said in my 1st post on top of the first page - Bergmanns Rule
Old 08-09-2003, 05:09 PM

An " educated" deer is more jumpy, and there are two ways to educate a deer. You can pressure them continually until the sight of their own shadow has them flinching or you can hunt them for a couple years and let the education come at a slower pace, but over a longer time frame. In many areas up north, nothing much lives past 1.5 years. A young buck at the beginning of bow season is an unafraid somewhat stupid creature. By the end of shogun season, if that young buck is still alive, you can bet he' ll be a whole lot more nervous and jumpy. Trouble is, the vast majority don' t survive, so we never see him as a two year old. Next fall, we' re likely to see another yealiing that hasn' t been educated.

Since the south has such liberal limits and long seasons, I' m guessing there are too many deer and many live long enough to become smarter (jumpier).
Old 08-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

I' m sorry you guys up North don' t get that nice long 120 day deer season (Sept. 13 - January 12) and that nice bag limit (12 - but only 2 bucks). I feel your pain....

Look on the bright side...your deer stand there and let you shoot' em, ours duck arrows left and right.[&:]

Seriously, I think there may be some difference due to the longer season, but that' s about it. And you don' t have to climb that high in GA. Heck, I' ve shot' em from the ground. You just have to be smart and hunt the little unpressured nooks and crannys that many deer hunters won' t go. The deer know this so that' s why they hide there. As far as seeing bucks, it' s not uncommon for me to see 8-10 per day, but then again I hunt an area where anything less that 8 points is not a shooter. Good luck to all of the brotherhood of hunters this fall, wherever you may hunt!!!