Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

"String Jump"

Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 PM

Default "String Jump"

I've seen this term mentioned touted as the reason for a faster bow. I have been doing a bit of figuring (I have the cipherin ability of Jethro Bodine).
I suggest an arrow with a speed of 360 fps will get to a target .064 (or 1/16) of a second sooner than an arrow traveling at 260 fps. at 20 yards. IMO that is not a very long time.
I chose those arrow speeds because they represent the fastest and the slowest Xbows onCabela's web site.
Does a 1/16 of a sec give a deer a chance to "string jump"?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: "String Jump"

IMO, a deer can't fall a foot in 1/16 of a second. Adeer's first move is straight down, to cock those mighty legs, to bound away. Since gravity is just so strong on a 150 lb. deer, then I don't think that bulk is capable of decending the required 12 inches to duck the approching arrow. But what do I know, I went to school with Jethro and he was smarter than me!
BBO
Old 06-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

260 fps or 360 fps won't make a diff at 20 yds. Go to www.horizontalbowhunter.com and find the articles by Bill T there is an excellent one on string jump and he's the man who would know!!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Spike

There are some variables in the string jump theory the main one being the attitude of the deer at the loose a deer that's locked up and alert versuses one that is relaxed a deers reflexes are probably 10 times faster than a mans I've seen deer drop straight down but a lot of times it's more of a tip over than a drop and they seem to be able to do it plenty quick as tonto would say at any rate it never hurts to aim just a little low just in case all the best.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 AM

Its only 1/16 of a difference but that is between two bows. You need to calculate between o and say thirty five yards and how long it takes the arrow to get there. Also them speeds are made right out of the CB within a short range. thirty yards away and both of them bows are alot slower. I have seen lots of hunting shows and one of my friends has a video of where he took a forty yard shot at a deer and you can see as the arrow is traveling it is going right at the lungs. You can also see the deer starting to drop and load up to go and right as the arrow gets to the spot the deer has dropped enough for the arrow to pass just over his back. String jump is a fact and not a theory. I will agree it get used as a bad excuse for people that do not practice but it can and does happen. If you watch enough hunting shows they usually have a few string jumps in them now and then that you can see in slow motion and see the deer do it.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

According to what I have read a deer can go from a standing start to 40 miles an hour for a short distance, now if hes looking at you and alert when you shootyou only have his reaction time for the arrow to get there.
According to my calculations hes moving 3.666 feet in that 16th of a second if he's at full speed which they reach a lot faster than most people would believe.
Now if hes looking the other way the speed of sound is a lot slower and he won't react as fast from a sound because he has to determine that it is not something normal;the distance the arrow has to travel makes a big differance; even at 300 ft a second it takes that arrow 1/4 of a second to go 25 yds.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't shoot at alert deer, then you will never have one duck you.

An alert deer can infact duck an arrow. Its not really a duck, its more of a lean away....sorta like Keaneau Reeves did in The Matrix....not a vertical duck, but a roll back/lean back sort of move.