Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Southern deer jump the string more????? >

Southern deer jump the string more?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Southern deer jump the string more?????

Old 08-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Southern deer jump the string more?????

I do think it may be possible that " some" deer may be a bit more twitchy from getting shot at for 3 months as opposed to 2 weeks!
On this point I will concur, but I bet that any deer on public property are jumpy up north or down south.

Hey come on down south if you wish, Va. has a ton of deer and an out of state license is pretty cheap.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:58 AM

Tazman I would if I could!!!

I already have a Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, New York and Iowa hunting license ... I' m getting married in exactly 10 days, taking a 1 week honeymoon .. then pretty much making a widow of her for the next 3 1/3 months!

She was with me last year .. so she can' t say she wasn' t aware of my " sickness" before we get hitched!!!

I did sacrifice the annual bear hunt in Maine for her .... that' s LOVE.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great sacrifice MA, gave up a bear hunt for your newlywed, I' m really impressed. I hope she realizes the extent of your sacrifice.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:09 AM

I can' t speak from experience, but my Dad, who is a seasoned veteran with over 30yrs of bowhunting experience, goes to Illinois ever year, and he swears the deer are easier to kill there than here in Mississippi. He said once you have them in range, you' ve got them. They don' t seem to be as cagey there as here in the south. And yes, I agree with MA Jay. It is a proven fact that deer that are under heavy hunting pressure are harder to kill. With seasons in Mississippi going from October 1 - January 31, it makes sense to me that deer in the heavier hunted states are harder to kill.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:23 AM

I would say are deer are so much smaller, that is why they can " jump the string" easier.....[&:][&:]

Old 08-06-2003, 09:55 AM

southern deer jump the string, northern deer duck it!

Good one TAZ.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I did sacrifice the annual bear hunt in Maine for her .... that' s LOVE.
Man that must be one special lady to give that up for! Congrats on getting married, I wish the 2 of you all the best.

benhuntin, I was wondering when someone would catch that!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

it makes sense to me that deer in the heavier hunted states are harder to kill.
All I can offer is anecdotal evidence but every person that has ever come down to hunt with me from up north has left with a whole new appreciation for deer hunting. I have had some successful deer hunters come down and we would scout an area and then I would think " well your not even going to see a deer there during daylight hours" . The guys that come down to hunt with me are use to being able to pass up bucks all year because they knew that would have more shots later in the day and many more shots later in the year. Where I hunt if you see 10 bucks during daylight hours from Oct. - Jan. you' ve got yourself some bragging rights. It' s not that the deer aren' t here it' s just that they don' t move during daylight and when they do they are nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe there is something to this as well. No I don' t think that southern deer are just born more jumpy but they are hunted longer and harder than most northern deer. I have a friend who hunts here and in Illinois and he has said on numerous occasions that the deer he arrows up there react far less to the shot than deer down here in Alabama do. I am going up there with him the first week of November so I' ll have a chance to compare for myself. I can tell you this; during daylight hours the deer here are as nervous as a virgin on prom night and they will look up and bust your a$$ in a treestand like they have ESP or something. I have heard a lot of hunters from other states talk about hunting from treestands 12 and 15 feet off the ground. Forget that nonsense down here. If you don' t plan to get any higher than that with a bow here you may as well stay in the truck and listen to the radio. 25 feet is about the minimum with 30 feet being even better. And even then you will still get busted.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

In one article it is mentioned that " STring jumping is a bigger problem with southern deer than with
northern deer." SAy what??????
why do you think southern deer are more prone to this.
I bet your deer have seen the way ya' ll treat your farm animals![]

I' d be jumpy too!

Quick Reply: Southern deer jump the string more?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.