Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Man dies from carbon sliver ? >

Man dies from carbon sliver ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Man dies from carbon sliver ?

Old 08-03-2003, 08:14 PM

Default Man dies from carbon sliver ?

Has any body herd this story or any version of it? My pro said he heard a story from a guy last year. Some guy shot a deer and his carbon arrow broke in the deer and a sliver was in the meat and when he ate the meat and digested the carbon sliver it apparently logde its self in his pancreas and gave him a tumer or cancer and killed him. It gave his freind such a scare he only shoots alum arrows now.Sounds like bull $hit to me,but stanger things have happen.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Man dies from carbon sliver ?

I would have to see irrefutable proof before I could believe that story.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Na, dont belive it
Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 AM

A doc on archery talk said it was very unlikely.That it would have to block the ID track and cause a infection that was not caught by a doctor.And carbon is not poisionus to us.Some other guy herd the same story but a differant version.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

yeah i agree about it not happening. I would think he would have to have a weak system to begin with but that is just my guess. And this is the reason why i am not a doctor lol
Old 08-04-2003, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Didn' t that happen in that same town where that guy went out drinking , took a girl home and woke up in a tub of ice without his pancreas?[]
Old 08-04-2003, 04:24 AM

didn' t hear that story,did hear when they came out with carbon arrows to be careful it the arrow broke inside the anomal.you need to cut away a lot of the meat around the site.to be sure you didn' t get any slivers.
I guess anything is possible,thats like the red dye they did use the to stamp bacon,causing you canser.it will if you get enough of it.possible but not probable.[X(][:-]
Old 08-04-2003, 07:15 AM

i heard that story too , but i' m not buying it either, i also heard one that a guy while practicing , had a damage arrow on his rest (unknown to him) and when he released the arrow it exploded of course and a sliver of cabon arrow lodged itself in his bow hand ,to as the story goes and to make it shorter ,a piece from the sliver broke off when he removed it and caued an infection and supposedly he had to have his hand amputated or he died i don' t remember the outcome because it sound like a cock and bull story too.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:58 AM

I' m not buyin it either, sounds pretty unlikely to me.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:39 PM

Doubt it could happen. I once shot a deer, arrow went in one front leg by the shoulder, went out, then went through the chest, went out, and lodged in the other front shoulder. The whole front of the deer was filled with little pieces of that carbon arrow. Needless to say, my freezer didn' t fill up to much with that deer.