Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 100 grn Phantom broadhead test results >

100 grn Phantom broadhead test results

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

100 grn Phantom broadhead test results

Old 07-27-2003, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 100 grn Phantom broadhead test results

4blade without bleeders
Phantom 100 grain
Plywood 3 points (5 points)
Steel drum 4 points (4 points)
Tire 2 points (4 points)
Cutting diameter 3 points (3 points)
Accuracy 4 points (4 points)
Blades 4 points (2 points)
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total score 22 with a blade sharpness rating of B+ without bleeders the score goes to 24.

The Phantom is a basic two blade, cut on contact head, with bleeder blade inserts. The bleeders are strong, sharp, and full size. The phantom can be shot with or without the bleeders. With them the head weighs 100 grains and without it comes in at 85 grains. With the bleeders penetration is limited, but the amount of cutting surface is doubled. This head will produce one heck of a wound channel and makes a very large hole. Without the bleeders the penetration is increased a good deal, but at the cost of the total amount of cutting surface. Either way the 100grain Phantom preformed very well in the tests.
In the plywood the 4blade version stopped short of full penetration, right at the back of the blades. The head was undamaged. Shot as a two blade the head fully penetrated the wood without damage. In the tire the 4blade again stopped short of complete penetration while the two blade head sliced right through. In both cases there was no damage. In the steel drum both the two and 4 blade configurations penetrated the first side with the tip sticking in the back wall. The bleeders were knocked loose, but the cutting surface remained. I found the accuracy to be excellent as both a 2 and 4 blade head. With a properly tuned bow you won’t have any trouble getting great accuracy.
Overall the 100grain Phantom preformed pretty much the same as the bigger 125grain head and should make an excellent choice for those wanting either a lightweight two, blade head or for those looking for a large cut on contact style 4 blade.

Old 07-27-2003, 07:40 PM

Default RE: 100 grn Phantom broadhead test results

good review 5-Shot - thanks once again
Old 07-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great report.

The question is Magnus Stinger 100 4 blade or Phantom 100 4 blade?
Old 07-27-2003, 09:27 PM

Great Report 5 shot,

I really like the 125 gr Phantoms I am shooting.

However I have broke the mainblade on 1 of my heads and bent another . That lifetime warrantee (that Magnus has) would sure be nice to have.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave I just knew this question was coming. Bottom line both are excellent heads. As a four blade the phantom cuts a much larger path but won' t penetrate as well. As a two blade they are about equal in preformance. I like both, but prefore the smaller bleeders on the stingers when shooting as a 4 blade.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the Phantom is a VERY underrated broadhead design. A very good cut on contact head design, one of the best.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff I agree, now with Muzzy taking over maybe the will get the Phantoms the exposure they need. The Phantoms just seem to be one of those great heads that always seemed to get over looked.