Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Super Slam

Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Super Slam

My son is 11 years old and has been reading at full draw the Chuck Adams story. He has been talking for the past couple of years about how he would like to do the super slam. Is there anyone on here that has done it or is doing it ? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Spike

Good book, i really liked it in fact its that very same book that inspired me to take up the north american superslam. good for your son i wish him the best of luck. its one of my own goals to accomplish as soon as i get done with my service to the united states airforce hahaha. its also expensive so use that to keep him in school lol
Old 02-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

SlyInthewoods, I have almost finished the book and have started looking for Chucks book the super slam. Hope you have a lot of fun on your slam. As you said it is going to cost, He can shot his deer here on our farm and maybe an elk. I'm looking into trading hunts with people to help him out. Since he is only 11 years old I figure this is one way I can enforce school and collage, the big thing is that he has fun. THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY, I served the 1st time around in the sand box.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta be a multimillionaire in order to do it and you also cant be afraid to spend it. Not only that but you also have to get lucky quite a bit for some of the tags. Rich mans quest right there.

Ryan.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Spike

yea but we can dream, im only 21 i still have plenty of years to win the lottery hahaha, i can take miltary hops up to alaska to get alot of them, i can get elk blacktail mulies and antelope right here in northern cali
Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RJPOUTDOORS
Is there anyone on here that has done it or is doing it ?
Nope! LOL!

Only 8 guys have EVER accomplished it. As some have mentioned, the money seems to be the biggest problem for 99% of bowhunters!

Some of the species like the Sheep average over $20K each.... a garuanteed Desert Bighorn tag alone runs $50,000 and thats JUST the tag..... as you can imagine, the hunt expense would be crazy high. Between the 4 species of Sheep, Polar Bear, Brown Bear, wild Bison, etc., there are some species that really will break the bank!

Start small with something like the North American Deer Slam.... those 5 species would be more than enough to keep most bowhunters busy for many years!

Good luck to your son.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly! Don't let anybody tell you any different. There are plenty of lofty goals that are attainable in this Great Sport of Archery!

Dan

Originally Posted by my7pointmonster
Gotta be a multimillionaire in order to do it and you also cant be afraid to spend it. Not only that but you also have to get lucky quite a bit for some of the tags. Rich mans quest right there.

Ryan.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

Everyone is right for him to do the slam it will cost. At his age it does not hurt for him to dream, he is going after the deer first. Our farm has a few deer that would make book. I'm working on a blacktail deer hunt with a friend out of Wahsington. I look at it this way as long as he has fun and it keeps him motivited to stay in school and get good grades then so be it. He loves hunting, most mornings when he wakes up he looks out the window to see the squirrels and stuff. How far he takes it will be his choice and he will learn a lot from it. Good Hunting.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by RJPOUTDOORS
My son is 11 years old and has been reading at full draw the Chuck Adams story. He has been talking for the past couple of years about how he would like to do the super slam. Is there anyone on here that has done it or is doing it ? Thanks.

i am doing it now. i have 3 species of sheep, 2 elk, 1 caribou, mountain goat and 2 bear from completing it.

there's a lot of species you can get in combo hunts. the deer are pretty easy, although, some of the deer, i just took does. cow tags are cheaper for elk and moose. it's all about putting a strategy together. if you get one a year you'll be done inside of 30 years for sure. you just have to keep putting in for preference points every year. (which i spend a fortune on!!!) the only one i'm putting in for now is desert bighorn in utah. i probably have 10 years left before i get that one (at $70 a year in preference points, plus the tag price in 10 $5000 IN JUST THE TAG!

so far, i've moved from region to region for a couple years gaining residency, then hunting that region unguided. i have no incredible trophies of anything but whitetail, but it sure has been exciting.

i'm doing bighorn in montana this fall, which will be awesome.