Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting stances

Old 07-23-2003, 12:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default shooting stances

I been having hard time keep bow level but seems to be easier when i have it slightly bent but often when i do it too much it ' skips' on me (string goes in like its going to shoot) so what do you think would be the best stance for me? I think slightly is better for me but i know alot of people in here when they first learn find the postition best suited so i dont feel so silly asking this lol
Old 07-23-2003, 01:48 AM

Default RE: shooting stances

I reckon what ever is comfortable for you and works well, use that stance. but try and use that stance all the time coz it will help with your consistancy.

I don' t think that any one stance is the right one. As long as it works for you. Hope I helped a bit. Catchya round the ridges.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:27 AM

RedHawk,
If you are trying to shoot with a bent arm and the bow is jumping out of the valley you may need to shorten you draw just a tad This will help you hold the bow (against the wall) with a slightly bent elbow.
Now stand with your feet approx. shoulder width apart and take a half a step back with your fore foot
Hope this helps
AL
Old 07-23-2003, 08:14 AM

I think Littleal is right. When you bend your arm, you may need to shorten your dl from 1/2" to a full inch to compensate for this new " shorter stance" .

There are also other basics to look at. proper shoulder alaignment can be of great help when keeping steady. Shoulders should be pointing almost at the target to even left of the target (right handed shooters). Bow shoulder should be down allowing force of weight to press into the large shoulder bones without the use of muscle.

Both draw arm and bow arm should be relaxed (no flexing). Allow the major back muscle and shoulder bone to take the brunt of the weight. Both hands should also be relaxed.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:13 AM

Good advice Rack! I would like to add that the he might want to drop down a couple of pounds until he becomes comfortable with the stance.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you everyone for giving the advice so far but i am still having problems understanding the positions mentioned. I need to correct my previous post so hopefully this will give more understanding to my problem. When i bend my bow arm (i am right handed) its just ever so slightly. I tried shooting with a 45 degree angle bend in my arm but that was just asking for a chipped tooth lol. I feel comfortable with the poundage and such but just the bend is what is actually been giving me the most problems. However when i have it slightly bent i seem to do well. I think the fact i can' t keep it level all the time is because of my lack of experience of shooting. Does anyone have pictures of their shooting stances or can have some within next couple of days? I' ve been also looking at pictures in hunting mags. and i noticed most if not all of the shooters had completely straight or slight bend in arms but just wanted to see how everyone shoots in here to get a rough idea.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:04 AM

However when i have it slightly bent i seem to do well
Thats what you want - Don' t try 45 deg bend[] - don' t know where you heard that.

Just a slight bend in the bow arm is fine
Old 07-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

quote:

However when i have it slightly bent i seem to do well

Thats what you want - Don' t try 45 deg bend - don' t know where you heard that.

Just a slight bend in the bow arm is fine
Yeah I understand now so thank you for all the help guys It didn' t make sense to me when i first read all the replies because it was about 3 in the morning lol. As for the 45 degree stance i actually saw another shooter doing that so i thought i would try it. It didnt work for me lol
Old 07-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red Hawk;
Try to keep your feet in a straight line under your shoulders to hips to feet.
Feet to close together will cause an archer to sometimes lean back into to release arm.
Shooting with a slightly bent elbow is my prefered method of shooting .
I find shooting a straight arm will cause bow tork at the grip.
As far as leveling goes I prefer to shoot a Classic Scope Magnum with a 4X plano convex lense scope and Sure Loc sight with a bubble level and I use a Toxonics Hybrid IV fixed pins sight with a bubble level also, this will let me know if the shot will be true to form or if I am torking the shot.

When you feel the skip it is usually due to( for me ) the release elbow dropping or holding the release elbow to low. I learned this from experience, I would come to full draw and the bow would want to jump forward out of full draw, had an archery coach point out to me that this was happening because I was holding the release elbow to low , raiseing the elbow solved the problem for me. Try it , it maybe the answer you have been looking for.
Hope this helps you.