Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Political Stances on Firearms 2008 >

Political Stances on Firearms 2008

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A poll
Sen. Hillary Clinton
0%
Mike Huckabee
45.00%
Sen. John McCain
25.00%
Sen. Barrack Obama
5.00%
Rep. Ron Paul
25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Political Stances on Firearms 2008

Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Political Stances on Firearms 2008

There are two parts to this post:

First, based on your current understanding of the candadates running for President in 2008 (and forgive me for only listing the current major players... I'm a liberatarian myself... but thats neither here nor there). But based on your own biased opinions or facts or whatever, please vote in the poll based upon which canadate you think would do the most for the United States.

Second, on a bit of a different plane, I'd like you to read the following statements on gun control issues listed #1-5 and match them with the canadate who made the statements lettered A-E. Post up your answers, based on who you think made what statement regarding gun control in the US. Feel free to post any opinions or thoughts on candates or in general.

I will post the answers on my personal profile in the hobbies/interests section so that everyone may have a chance to "play the game" so to speak, please when you post your answers, don't write up your score as well... give everybody a chance. Score doesn't matter, this is just to help educate everyone on who stands where.

All of these statements are official issued statements to the press made in interviews by the canadates, and I will be happy to provide anyone interested with my sources. Just ask.

Here are the canadates, listed in alphabetaical order with corresponding letter:

A) Hillary Clinton, B) Mike Huckabee), C) John McCain, D) Barrack Obama, E) Ron Paul

And here are the statements in no order what-so-ever... good luck...

Statement #1

Do you think gun control has an impact on crime rates in the United States?

I do not believe we should tamper with the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, and I believe law-abiding citizens have the right to own guns. The right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is a fundamental, individual Constitutional right that we have a sacred duty to protect. We have a responsibility to ensure that criminals who violate the law are prosecuted to the fullest, rather than restricting the rights of law abiding citizens. Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law-abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals - criminals who ignore gun control laws anyway. Neither justice nor domestic peace is served by holding the innocent responsible for the acts of the criminal.

Do you think tighter restrictions should be in place for those buying a firearm?

I support instant criminal background checks to help prohibit criminals from buying firearms and have fought to ensure they are conducted thoroughly, efficiently, and without infringing on the rights of law abiding citizens. Federal law requires licensed firearm sellers at gun shows to do an instant criminal background check on purchasers while private firearm sellers at gun shows do not have to conduct such a check. I support such checks and believe that they must be conducted quickly to ensure that unnecessary delays do not effectively block transactions. I also oppose 'waiting periods' for law-abiding citizen's purchase of firearms. I do not support backdoor attempts to restrict Second Amendment rights by holding gun manufacturers liable for crimes committed by third parties using a firearm, and have worked to protect gun manufacturers from such inappropriate liability, nor do I support restrictions on so-called 'assault rifles.' I believe that banning ammunition is just another way to undermine Second Amendment rights. I also support the right of law-abiding citizens of the District of Columbia to bear arms, and oppose the confiscation of firearms from private citizens, particularly during times of crisis or emergency. Finally, I do believe in strict, mandatory penalties for criminals who use a firearm in the commission of a crime or illegally possess a firearm, and in requiring gun manufacturers to include gun safety devices such as trigger locks in product packaging.

Statement #2

No. I believe criminals will always find a way to get guns.

Do you think tighter restrictions should be in place for those buying a firearm?

No.

Statement #3

While I support the Second Amendment and believe law-abiding citizens should be able to own guns, I also believe strongly in smart laws that keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists, which can help us fight crime. We should take reasonable steps to protect Americans from gun violence and, at the same time, safeguard the right of law-abiding citizens to use firearms for hunting and other recreational purposes. Illegal guns contribute to violence, and we have a problem when people acquire guns illegally or commit crimes with guns.

I respect the right of Americans to own and bear arms, but we need protections in place to prevent guns from getting into the wrong hands. I support closing the gun show loophole and making sure our background check system is truly instant and accurate. Background checks at gun shows can stop gun sales to criminals, terrorists, and seriously mentally ill individuals like the Columbine shooters without burdening law-abiding gun buyers. I also support extending and reinstating the assault weapons ban while exempting hundreds of hunting and recreational weapons. And I support giving local law enforcement access to data that helps them track down guns sold to criminals and terrorists.

Statement #4

The best example of the impact gun control has had on crime rates is Washington, D.C. Our nation's capital has some of America's strictest gun control laws, and it consistently has one of the highest crime rates. It has been proven that tighter gun laws bring more crime. In contrast, those cities that most respect the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms have some of the lowest crime rates. Gun control laws only serve to take guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. Criminals living in cities with tight gun control laws not only ignore restrictions, but also have an easier time committing violent crimes because they have no fear that they may face armed resistance.

The federal government, bound to uphold the Second Amendment, should have no authority to place restrictions on those wishing to buy a firearm. Gun store owners should be allowed to place their own restrictions in their own stores.

Statement #5

Yes, I do think that reasonable gun control measures reduces violent crime and saves lives. I respect the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. But we can't deny that gun violence has taken the lives of too many Americans. I believe that through common-sense measures, we can keep guns from those who may pose a threat, while also protecting the rights of legitimate hunters and sportsmen.

I support reasonable, common-sense measures to limit such occurrences. I would close the gun-show loophole and require mandatory background checks on purchasers at gun shows. That loophole has been exploited by everyone from foreign terrorists to the Columbine High School shooters. Closing it would not impair the rights of hunters and other lawful gun owners. I also believe that we should make the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent. Those weapons belong on a foreign battlefield, not on our streets. Finally, I support making guns in this country child proof. This is, again, a common-sense solution: guns and kids don't mix.

Again... lets here your opinions.... answers are in my profile...
Old 02-12-2008, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Political Stances on Firearms 2008

1-C It's a conservative answer but still has some left-wing ideas like mandatory safety devices. Has to be McCain.

2-B Could be Huckabee or Paul, but statement #4 has more of a libertarian vibe to the second response so this must be Huckabee.

3-D Statements 3 & 5 are both a toss up for me but I know the're both from left-wing idiots.

4-E As I said above, the second response on this statement has a real libertarian sound to it, so this must be Paul.

5-A Another guess. The speaker is clearly a liberal but beyond that I have no idea.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

About six months ago, I ran across a position paper that Barack Obama wrote while a state senator in IL advocating the banning of all semi-automatic guns (be they rifles, shotguns, or handguns). It has since been removed--strangely about the same time he refused to make public any papers he had from the Illinois Senate.

This page has a summary of his view:

http://www.issues2000.org/Domestic/B...un_Control.htm
Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like it's Obama vs. McCain, too bad I was hoping for anyone other than McCain.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Looks like it's Obama vs. McCain, too bad I was hoping for anyone other than McCain.
Heck I'm hoping for anyone but Obama or Clinton. Honestly I think I'd rather see Clinton run because I think she stands a better chance of losing. Although.. there is always the what if.... all in all I'd rather have Obama than her.

Huckabee was my guy. Doesn't have the chance of a long tailed cat in a room full rocking chairs.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:27 AM

My guesses:

1. McCain
2. Huckabee
3. Obama
4. Paul
5. Clinton

I also think it will come down to Obama vs McCain. I was hoping for a little better choice on the Republican side like Paul or Huckabee.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

WHat's the problem with McCain..the guy was one of the most abused POW's that saw freedom and has 2 sons in the armed services. I say he walks the walk unlike the rest of the scum running. If osama Obama wins he will be a 4 year wonder and you can hypenate his name to Osama Obama- Carter because that is who he will emulate if he gets elected. Out of the 2 I wishing for Hillary to win the nomination and lose the presidential bid.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not overly thrilled waith McCain as the republican cadidate, but I guess I can live with it. I agree with several of the others about Clinton vs. Obama. I too hope Hilbilly wins the nomination. Osama Obama personally just scares the bejeebers out of me, and I also don't think Hilbilly can win the general election.
Sure do wish we had just a little stronger, popular Rep. candidate, though....
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

WHat's the problem with McCain..the guy was one of the most abused POW's that saw freedom and has 2 sons in the armed services. I say he walks the walk unlike the rest of the scum running.
This is certainly true and not without merit. He has given his entire life to his country, and God keep him for that. However, a life of selfless service and two sons serving in the armed forces does not neccessarily make you the right choice for president. Just something to dwell on.....
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im for Ron Paul......but...not much chance of that. Im not very thrilled with the rest of them. Yeah McCain is a good man but his views and mine arent real close. To be honest Im pretty tired of the same ol crapola 2 party crap...how long has it been since we had an actual good candidate from either party run? Its been the lesser of the 2 evils everytime I have voted...

Quick Reply: Political Stances on Firearms 2008

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.