Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My First Treestand--Need Help! >

My First Treestand--Need Help!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My First Treestand--Need Help!

Old 07-21-2003, 06:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-21-2003, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My First Treestand--Need Help!

You Guys have a lot of food for thought. Boy am I glad I didn' t run off and order one of the ones I mentioned, I think I would' ve been dissapointed.
As far as borrowing one, There' s no one I know that owns a treestand, as a matter of fact I' m sure I' ll be one of the first to use it in this area that I live. That' s why I' m asking you experts.

Do you guys use climbers or do you like non climbers better for weight purposes? I' ll be hauling it anywhere from 1 to 3 miles each way. One thing for sure, I' ll stick to the brands you' re suggesting. Thanks Everyone. elknut1
Old 07-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

A non climbing stand(hang on) is great if you can leave it in the same tree. If not, by the time you carry in the stand along with screw in steps(if allowed) or a climbing stick you will have to carry as much weight if not more as a climber. Remember, to use a climber you need to have a reasonably straight tree with no limbs unless you cut limbs as you climb.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar Mag brings up an excellent point......they are great if you can leave it in the same tree. Someting else I want to make you aware of. It seems that there are certain hunters who tree stand hunt. They look for stands that do not belong to them and steal them. To help protect my hang on stands, I lock the chain with a master lock and remove the bottom 4 steps. So far this system has worked well for me over the past 4 seasons.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:07 PM

I would stay away from the Hunters View stands, I stormed out and bought one as my first climber a few years back without shopping around. I kept it about 2 months before I got tired of lugging the heavy bulky thing around. I invested in a Summit and havnt looked back since. One other tip I will offer, the pack pack straps that come with many stands are not very comfortable and on long hikes can really dig into your shoulders. I went to the local golf shop and replaced the straps on mine with those big fuzzy golf bag straps, it made a world of difference you can hike for miles and the not even know you have the stand on your back.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:35 PM

Summit!

For really light packing try the Bushmaster or one of their new folding climbers.

Their quality can' t be matched IMO.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lefty26

replaced the straps on mine with those big fuzzy golf bag straps
TEE HEE![8D][8D][] Wait a minute... that just might work... I gotsta try that... Thanx for the idea.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for all the advice and suggestions. You don' t know how much you' ve helped. I' ve already scratched off my two original choices. As a matter of fact, I don' t think I want a climber either. I' m sure you' ve ALL saved me a ton of frustration. Thanks again. It' s going to be between Summit--Ole Man--Buckshot.
Thanks for the tip on the straps too. It' s hard to believe you actually have to worry about locking up your stand from thieves. elknut1
Old 07-26-2003, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

i have a rivers edge tree stand and the best advice i can give u is take ur time going up and down...[:-]
Old 07-26-2003, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

it also helps to use it in a tree that slightly leans back... cause the higher u go the stand will start to tip forward... oak trees work pretty good for climbing stands... mine works great... and it depends if the back part the holds u up is made of metal or bike chain or what ever... if its chain... get it coated in plastic if u can... if its metal... just take ur time and u won' t make too much noise